This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Bye Bye XP

wirefox

Fri Apr 04, 2014 9:49:41 pm

Xp was a great OS but with support ending it's time to move on, I tried Ubuntu but just didn't feel quite rite, tried Zorin and after a few days am feeling really good about this OS.

Swarfendor437

Fri Apr 04, 2014 9:56:21 pm

Hi wirefox, Glad you are enjoying the XPerience of Zorin! :mrgreen:

Wolfgang02

Mon Apr 14, 2014 12:32:25 am

Once set up, there is very little difference, in the look and feel, between XP and this OS (sometimes while setting up the OS, you may have to use the command prompt more then XP and people here are more than happy to help which makes the command prompt very easy).

In fact, once set up, this OS is better then XP because you can really multitask because this OS is not as bloaty . I constantly have 4 workspaces open and I have on average 1.5 different programs running on each workspace. In the past I would have to be more systematic about how I would work.

Good bye XP and thank you for the 13 years and fairwell MicroSoft. I will not miss my annual subscriptions to Kaspersky.

AnotherLife

Sat Apr 19, 2014 2:28:54 pm

Zorin is great, the best Linux I've tried, but I wouldn't dismiss the awesomeness that is Win7, or Win8 + Classic Shell program, or the upcoming Win9 with new Start menu.

EDIT: Correction.

Swarfendor437

Sat Apr 19, 2014 4:52:35 pm

AnotherLife wrote:Zorin is great, the best Linux I've tried, but I wouldn't dismiss the awesomeness that is Win7, or Win8 + Classic Shell program, or the upcoming Win8.1 with new Start menu.

For information 8.1 has been out since last year - the new one with menu is due out in 2015 - Windows 9. Win 7 is OK but that animated bar when you open a folder is a real waste of space and RAM! ;)

AnotherLife

Sat Apr 19, 2014 9:33:46 pm

I corrected my post.

Also, I don't know which animation you're referring to, but at least Aero can be totally disabled. In fact is IS disabled unless a proper gfx card is identified. Unlike Ubuntu's Unity3D, which afaik cannot be disabled.

Swarfendor437

Sat Apr 19, 2014 10:25:41 pm

AnotherLife wrote:I corrected my post.

Also, I don't know which animation you're referring to, but at least Aero can be totally disabled. In fact is IS disabled unless a proper gfx card is identified. Unlike Ubuntu's Unity3D, which afaik cannot be disabled.

For example, if you want to look for a file or something in Control Panel, you get that stupid green accelerometer travelling from left to right - and even if you don't have aero, you still get a stupid 'falt grey' accelerometer! Why OS's and stupid apps waste so much energy and RAM on absolutely needless animations is beyond me - we want to get the job done, not be entertained! (That said I did fall for the beauty of what was Pear Linux and UltimateOz Diamong B-II 64-bit - so I am a sucker for looks at times, but there are looks and there are looks! :D