This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

SInce Win XP "expired", Zorin is now the 3rd most popular

Wolfgang02

Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:04:07 pm

It is interesting, but since Microsoft has stopped supporting Windows XP, Zorin has gained alot more users. Not surprising as I was a Windows XP user. Even when i bought my last 2 laptops, they both had Windows 7 but I upgraded them to Windows XP 64 bit.

According to Linux Distro Watch, Zorin has gained more users in the last 7 days and Zorin is the 3rd most popular Linux OS. One review I read said "Zorin feels more solid then Mint and from a Windows user it is the easiest Linux OS to use".

To me, Zorin is solid, reliable but most of all easy to use and get around. I am planning on rolling out Zorin 9 LTS on all my computers in the house and when I get my next laptop it will have to run Zorin 9 LTS as well.

Lets give a big cheer to the Developers and the people on this forum who give up their time for us new people. It makes the transistion easier and fun too.

Wolfman

Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:55:35 am

Its still hanging around the 13 spot on distrowatch!. It has been for several days now!.

http://distrowatch.com/

Pierre

Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:48:09 pm

which is why LinuxMint, - still says that it is the 4th most popular O/S ..
:)

or even this:
http://www.geek.com/microsoft/ubuntu-14 ... p-1591625/

Swarfendor437

Fri Apr 18, 2014 2:50:47 pm

OK, it appears to have slipped to 4th over the last 7 days and Mint at Number 2 - just downloading Ultimate 3.9 32-bit based on Debian and Mint and Ultimate 4.2 64-bit! Happy GNU/Linux Easter everyone! :D

Wolfman

Sat Apr 19, 2014 6:34:30 am

Pierre wrote:which is why LinuxMint, - still says that it is the 4th most popular O/S ..

or even this:

Hi Pierre,

if you have an Nvidia graphics card, it (Ubuntu 14.04) won't play nice with the HDMI sound output, I installed it the other day and it doesn't like my HDMI sound output even with the latest Nvidia drivers installed, it does like ATI/AMD although I am using the onboard drivers on my ATI Radeon HDMI 4xxx series card!. :D

Wolfgang02

Sun Apr 20, 2014 9:17:53 pm

Wolfman wrote:Its still hanging around the 13 spot on distrowatch!. It has been for several days now!.

http://distrowatch.com/

I agree if you look over the last 6 months. I was talking about the week after XP expired becasue I wanted to know what most home users were doing with regards to their OS. It seems to me that since XP has expired, home users are doing one of 3 things:
1. Keeping XP until things go bad for them
2. Moving away from MS
3. Looking at updating HardWare and keeping with MS.

When people move away from MS the only choice (in my opinion) is Linux but which distrobution would be best for XP users? I personally don't think there is a better option then Zorin but I wanted to see what was really going on so I was only interested in the last 7 days.

Just checked today and we have slipped back to 13th place. It looks like most people like Mint and Ubuntu over Zorin. I wonder why?

Wolfman

Mon Apr 21, 2014 5:32:06 am

Hi,

Mint has long been a good solid distro and was based on Ubuntu, since Ubuntu mentioned they might start charging other devs to use their repo's, the dev(s) at Mint went off and started using Debian repo's only!.

Ubuntu is a good OS and could be better if they would fix the bugs in each release before releasing the next versions with the same bugs!. Ubuntu also is a company (Canonical) and can afford to promote itself all over the place, most smaller distro's don't have this luxury!.

Zorin OS is making its mark but it will take a long time before it can topple the King!. :D

See also:

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=6063

Happy Easter. :D

Swarfendor437

Mon Apr 21, 2014 1:16:57 pm

The first software to have long stable support is BSD - they only release a new version after a two-year cycle and thorough testing - you can add Gnome or KDE to BSD - in fact you might notice if you have used older distributions in the past reference has been made to 'parts of BSD' being used in distributions! ;)

Wolfgang02

Tue Apr 22, 2014 7:43:30 am

I like Zorin so much because it looks and feels like Windows. From reading posts, people who use Linux are trying to get away from Windows and possibly would not like the look and feel of Zorin (please correct me if I wrong).

I personally feel, since MS have ditched its XP OS (although in China MS are still providing free support and the UK government has paid over 5.6Million GBP to get support for 1 more year but have been told that next year they will have to pay over 11Million GPB for continued support), people are looking for alternatives. The main reason, I believe, is because users don't particular like Windows 7 and hate Windows 8. I have read that if you use 3rd party software, you can get Windows 8 to look and feel like Windows 7 but why should you have to use 3rd party software to get your OS to work for you?

I have also read that 1 in 8 Enterprises are moving away from MS as their choice of OS which means Mac, Cloud (google OS and others), thin client (VMWare and others) and Linux/ Unix. I personally think, the only option (without hardware investment) is Linux. With Linux comes a learning curve but if the OS looks and feels like your old familar then I personally believe you are half way there. I think with a little more time, Zorin will be there. IT departments have been running Linux based servers for years so it should not be allien to them but the users may take a little longer to convince/ learn.

From the post I read today it looks like Ubuntu offer a commerical OS solution for enterprises. I think if they could offer that solution with all the bugs fixed (like in Zorin) and a front end like Zorin then they would be more likely to take a bigger share from the enterprises finding alternatives to MS OS.

From reading the posts, it seems that Canonical/ Ubuntu would like to charge other distro's which are based on Ubuntu's source code to protect its development/ investment. From a business model it makes since but from a GNU point of view it is questionable. I know some of some thin clients which are based on Ubuntu (openThinClient and others) which means if Canonical/ Ubuntu are trying to sell to enterprise users, Canonical/ Ubuntu could be competing against themselves. If the other alternatives (LinuxMint, openThinClient and others) are based on a "free" OS then there costs could be less then the "free" OS which is paying for the development of the OS. This doesn't make a good business model. What is the alternative? Linux should be the future for home PCs (in my personal opinion).

To conclude, Canonical charging is both understandable and questionable. I believe for people who would like to move away from MS OS, then Zorin have the answer. If Zorin keeps building a solid OS which looks and feels like the old familar but puts less strain on the need for a command prompt then it should become the choice of many.

Swarfendor437

Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:11:09 am

I think Zorin should seriously start considering moving away from Ubuntu and develop on Debian like SolydXK - as the latter, once installed, never a need to update again as continual updates and the team at Solyd' manually check each version of Firefox and Thunderbird before putting it on their repos. :D

Wolfgang02

Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:24:57 am

Would get my vote and I would love to have an OS for life but I don't fancy learning a new OS. I am hoping that Zorin will be here till I am pushing the Daisys up.

8dandl8

Sat Apr 26, 2014 2:55:17 am

I have been using Zorin 6.4 dual booted with XP Pro for about a month. Zorin is nice if you need a fully configured Linux distro, even VLC player will play DVD movies. It is easy to learn and navigate, but Zorin or any other Linux can totally replace XP, just don't want to deal with the driver issues with some of my hardware. My machine is an old Dell Dimemsion with 1GB ram, not the fastest but it is purring right along. I'm no Linux geek but I have installed and played with several different versions of Linux. If I can be of help, let me know. Daniel.

Wolfman

Sat Apr 26, 2014 9:11:37 am

8dandl8 wrote:I have been using Zorin 6.4 dual booted with XP Pro for about a month. Zorin is nice if you need a fully configured Linux distro, even VLC player will play DVD movies. It is easy to learn and navigate, but Zorin or any other Linux can totally replace XP, just don't want to deal with the driver issues with some of my hardware. My machine is an old Dell Dimemsion with 1GB ram, not the fastest but it is purring right along. I'm no Linux geek but I have installed and played with several different versions of Linux. If I can be of help, let me know. Daniel.

Use Zorin Lite on older PC's and you shouldn't have a problem as it is ideal for a PC with lightweight specs!:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4835

david7307

Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:47:10 pm

I think Zorin should seriously start considering moving away from Ubuntu and develop on Debian like SolydXK
question about solydxk, i tried it x was lite and the k was to be full of features but when i tried them k had very little downloaded ,not like zorin ultimate
then it wanted to do an update ans stuffed every thing up lol so back to zorin 6

Swarfendor437

Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:16:19 pm

What you have to remember is distros differ in terms of what apps are included - it does not mean they are not available - its just that Zorin puts it together for you. ;)

Linuxgamer94

Tue May 06, 2014 3:37:40 am

Wolfman wrote:
Pierre wrote:which is why LinuxMint, - still says that it is the 4th most popular O/S ..

or even this:

Hi Pierre,

if you have an Nvidia graphics card, it (Ubuntu 14.04) won't play nice with the HDMI sound output, I installed it the other day and it doesn't like my HDMI sound output even with the latest Nvidia drivers installed, it does like ATI/AMD although I am using the onboard drivers on my ATI Radeon HDMI 4xxx series card!. :D

Who gives a care. REaly who gives a care. Ok most xp users don't have HDMI, hell they are lucky if they have a vga port. The one reason Mint dominates Zorin is because Zorin is bloated and for years you had to cough up money to get their gaming eddion and don't get me started on the zorin Os secret sauce issue! I don't know why an xp users would even look at zorin. On an xp computer it is slow, boated and hardly runs at all and q4os is way better, hell haiku and reactos or beter if they run on the hardware. My mother is runing zorin os 6 and if it was not for here data I would have just put her on Antergros and been done with it. I want to like Zorin, how ever I can't. First updateing the thing over time is unpossible unlike on linux mint, as there is always one dam package that is can't be updated. Then their is the loading, the loading screen is slow and it crashes each time and then it loads up the desktop. Do I even have to meniton the slowness of gnomenu and NwM or what ever it is called. Again I don't hate Zorin, it is just a big pain in the **** to install, maintain, and whell use over a period of time. Even the themes suck as they make it dificult to use the blasted file manager and you don't have ANY of this issues in mint, and I have no clue why and XP user would like Zorin when it is in this state of disrepair. :geek: :x

Swarfendor437

Tue May 06, 2014 8:25:56 pm

I think that is too bland a statement - it depends on the specification of the machine - if it is low-powered then that is where Zorin Lite comes in - and if that is too much, just go to LXLE - which is what my friend was greatly enjoying - fast and everything installing out of the box - even a cherished Window app after I had to download and install Wine - I chose LXLE over Zorin for him because of his particular machine - I would not hesitate putting Zorin on a machine that was capable! :D

Wolfgang02

Tue May 13, 2014 11:02:11 pm

I think that Zorin runs almost flawless on all my 4 XP machines. I can maintain them and I never experience a crash or anything, I am loving this OS and from a Windows user, this OS is very easy to use and maintain. There is room for improvement but overall it is very easy to use and maintain.