This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

support schedule for ZorisOS Lite

wxl

Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:14:14 pm

as I understand it from Ubuntu's wiki page, LTS releases get 5 year support for Ubuntu, Kubuntu, and server, but the others (like Lubuntu) get 3 year support. Since Lite is based on Lubuntu, does it get 3 year support? Our company is trying to decide between Kubuntu and ZorinOS and the Zorin wins if it's got 5 year support ;)

Wolfman

Thu Apr 17, 2014 4:34:59 am

Hi,

Zorin OS is based on Ubuntu and as such, whatever Ubuntu offer in terms of support, reflects on Zoin OS, the next LTS releases of Zorin (version 9 & version 9 Lite/Ubuntu 14.04/Lubuntu 14.04) will both be LTS and supported until 2019:

http://www.ubuntu.com/info/release-end-of-life

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Releases

I hope that answers your question!. :D

wxl

Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:20:06 pm

I can't say it does answer my question, though I do appreciate your help. If you look at the link I provided initially, you'll see it says that the 5 year only applies to Ubuntu and other flavors dictate their own support (i.e. not necessarily what Ubuntu does). In turn if you look at the release notes for Lubuntu's Trusty, which is an LTS, you can see (as I said), it offers 3 year support. So with that in mind, ZorinOS Lite 9 will have only 3 year support, correct?

Wolfman

Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:35:17 pm

Hi,

I stand corrected, Lubuntu is indeed only 3 years LTS!.

Zorin OS follows Ubuntu; so whatever Ubuntu decide to do in terms of support, Zorin OS will do the same!.

wxl

Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:38:28 pm

So to summarize:
* ZorinOS: 5 years support (assuming an LTS base)
* ZorinOS Lite: 3 years (assuming an LTS base)

thanks!

Wolfman

Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:51:51 am

I assumed (foolish me) that when I first heard that Lubuntu was going LTS, it would have the same length of support as Ubuntu!. :D