This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

nautilus-open-terminal

AnotherLife

Sat Apr 19, 2014 2:25:35 pm

This package is great, it adds an open terminal option to the context menu of Nautilus. It works on the Desktop, too. Maybe you could consider inclusing it by default in the next Zorin OS version ? It fits in nicely with Zorin's workflow and ideas imo.

Wolfman

Mon Apr 21, 2014 5:11:48 am

I agree with you!. :D

AnotherLife

Mon Apr 28, 2014 4:04:46 pm

By the way, Xubuntu already has this. Zorin should have it included by default, too :-)

Swarfendor437

Tue Apr 29, 2014 6:28:43 pm

There's a lot of things Zorin could have by default, such as Firefox and ditch Chrome spyware! ;)

AnotherLife

Tue Apr 29, 2014 6:31:24 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:There's a lot of things Zorin could have by default, such as Firefox and ditch Chrome spyware! ;)

Spyware ? Come on, just disable that option that sends back info.

Chrome has the best Flash support out of all the browsers. And yes, Flash support is still super-important in 2014 and for a while longer I suppose.

Swarfendor437

Tue Apr 29, 2014 6:33:42 pm

Sorry buddy, I refuse to run any Google Applications - if I had my way I would block all things Google but sadly, that means no access to websites because they are all littered with Google API's (except mine! :lol: ). As someone who works in public service facing a pay cut, Google's lack of paying proper (or rather Avoidance) of paying Corporation Tax doesn't go down to well with me (just like Amazon!)

Wolfman

Wed Apr 30, 2014 5:58:42 am

I have to agreee with Al about GC, it does play things that FF won't and I simply disable the info gathering function, do you really think that Duck Duck Go don't gather info Swarf?.

AnotherLife

Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:26:06 am

Swarfendor437 wrote:Sorry buddy, I refuse to run any Google Applications - if I had my way I would block all things Google but sadly, that means no access to websites because they are all littered with Google API's (except mine! :lol: ). As someone who works in public service facing a pay cut, Google's lack of paying proper (or rather Avoidance) of paying Corporation Tax doesn't go down to well with me (just like Amazon!)

I understand your boycotting and I am a longtime Firefox user, but sadly, SADLY, Chrome is the best browser for most usecases and ZorinOS is better off using it imo. I mean, ok, I keep that damn flash player installed and updated in my Windows, but at least I'd like to keep my Linux clear of it. :geek:

Of course it's easy to uninstall Chrome and install an alternative, even for newbies, since Zorin has that little browser selection (inspired by MS ? :lol: )

madvinegar

Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:34:03 am

Wolfman wrote:I simply disable the info gathering function

Where is that WM?

AnotherLife

Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:45:58 am

Wolfman

Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:53:53 am

AnotherLife wrote:Probably these:
https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/114836?hl=en

And the man wins a coconut!. :D (Honest AL, I would give you one if I had one!. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :D )

madvinegar

Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:42:11 am

Which box is exactly that we have to untick? The 1st one? Or all of them?

AnotherLife

Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:48:04 am

madvinegar wrote:Which box is exactly that we have to untick? The 1st one? Or all of them?

The one about sending information back to Google. If you're still in doubt, we could use Teamviewer and I can click it for you :lol:

Swarfendor437

Wed Apr 30, 2014 12:08:58 pm

Even if you disable the monitoring information, you will still be tracked if you visit sites with the G+ sign - even if you haven't clicked it - Google records your IP address just by visiting such a site.

For more information about Google:

http://donttrack.us

I have had no issues with FireFox and YouTube! :mrgreen: