This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

What is the difference

Bootneck02

Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:50:10 am

:?: Can someone explain in VERY simple terms the difference between Linux and Microsoft software and operating systems, for example why does Linux distro's do not store the downloads and communications as Windows and therefore no need to use software like CC Cleaner or Privazer, disc defragers and software like Advanced System Care to clear the left over bits and pieces in the registry which slows the system down.

Swarfendor437

Sun Apr 20, 2014 11:05:43 am

Hi, well, they use very different systems - the one thing they do have in common is that they (normally) both have 'journaling file systems' - Windows - NTFS, GNU/Linux - ext4. Now as regards to clutter, that is still possible, so you have the choice of either 'Janitor' or 'Bleach-bit'. To access Janitor you have to install 'Ubuntu Tweak' from here:

https://launchpad.net/ubuntu-tweak/0.8. ... -1_all.deb

You can either use 'Software Center/re' or 'Gdebi Package Installer' - the latter is installed by opening a Terminal and entering:

Code:
sudo apt-get nstall gdebi
then once installed, go to the downloaded '.deb' folder, right-click and chose 'Open with other application ...' and select 'Gdebi' - It installs Ubuntu Tweak inside of 'System Settings'.

Menu | System Tools | System Settings

Then to clean up your system go to the last tab:

25.jpg

I tend to leave the last linux-header before the present one just in case there are any issues!

Hope this has answered your questions! :D

(A techie once told me, the fundamental flaw in Windows is the RPC - Remote Procedure Call - the weakest link - the other is the .exe file - the difference is that Wndows ties everything up in one .exe, whereas GNU/Linux is reliant on different files in different locations - I may be totally off track here but what i think is this:

Think of a rocket - a Windows rocket sees everything is in place and one command fires all the other mini boosters off without checking if they have ignited correctly (malformed executable due to a 'crack code' but it can't see that has happened - and I am talking an unsecured, no AV present. A GNU/Linux rocket fires a command that looks to see that all dependencies are present before firing the main booster on which the other components provide. I could be totally off track - so any one who has an ICT degree, please feel free to correct me! :D

Bootneck02

Sun Apr 20, 2014 9:24:45 pm

Thanks for the info I think I am now getting my head round Zorin

Wolfman

Mon Apr 21, 2014 5:23:50 am