This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

How hard would it be for Zorin to move away from Ubuntu?

Wolfgang02

Tue Apr 22, 2014 7:46:13 am

I have a question, as a new person to Linux and with limited knowledge of Zorin and how it was developed.

If Zorin is "built" on Ubuntu and Deb. then how hard would it be to ditch Ubuntu if Zorin had to?

Swarfendor437

Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:12:22 am

I am no Developer or script writer - but see my comments on SolydXK here:

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=7013&p=33739#p33739

Wolfgang02

Tue Apr 22, 2014 1:43:52 pm

SolydXK seems to think more like me LOL :)

I understand that Windows 2000 and XP had the same kernel and Windows 7 had a different kernel and Windows 8 had a different kernel to Windows 7, XP and 2000.

I understand giving new numbers to OS that have a different kernel but with Ubuntu they seem to have the same kernel but different version numbers.

I personally think Zorin have a stable OS which is user friendly but needs a little more work to make it more user friendly. I also think if they adapted the SolydXK they could achieve that.

The bigger question: Do Linux critics look at the new versions as a new OS and if so could it be a marketing ploy to have new numbers? For instance, would Linux Critics view Zorin 8 too old in say 10 years time although updates have been carried out?

Swarfendor437

Tue Apr 22, 2014 2:57:51 pm

It's not as simple as that! Zorin is in tandem with Ubuntu life cycle, each 6 month cycle leads to a new 'development' release. Not all Ubuntu Forks follow precisely the Ubuntu release cycle (and rightly so). My own personal opinion is that LTS releases should get the main attention but if you want something on a continual roll that is even better (until something breaks) and if something does break there will be an awful lot of updates to be put back on! The other consideration of course is the development of new file systems such as 'btrfs' which is supposed to be the next step forward. Once a lifecycle has expired it will be just like XP (well sort of) in that you will not be running a secure system anymore as different applications can have security leaks that get patched rapidly.

https://btrfs.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/Main_Page

Wolfgang02

Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:22:05 am

I have two more computers to move over to Zorin, but I am planning to buy 2 copies of LTS for my main 2 computers and then run the core (or may the lite) for the other 2.

One of my old laptops is a Dell with Media Direct. We use this for holidays because it is like have a mobile DVD player with a computer built in. I did try the core version of 8 but it didn't like it so I am hoping the LTS may be better suited.

If I would have known about LTS before I installed 8, I would have ran 8 as a core for a couple of weeks and bought LTS for my 2 computers. At least the cost of Zorin is very reasonable and I hope they keep the cost similar.

I am nervous in moving over to LTS because I have these 2 computers running how I like them, with the realtime back up and I have a couple of scripts which I wrote (basic scripts - using command prompts) and I think I am going to have to spend time resetting everything up again. I am still in MS mode as well, every OS release needs more CPU, RAM, HDD space but I keep reassuring myself, it will be OK on the day. I know you and Wolfman are never too far away and with your help, anything is possible.

I have noticed Ubuntu LTS has been released a couple of days ago. but still I have to ask, why a new release every 6 months? Is that not too quick? Would 2 years not be a better solution? and a new LTS every 7 or may be 10 years? Or is that still me think in MS terms?

madvinegar

Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:50:17 am

Wolfgang02 wrote:
I have noticed Ubuntu LTS has been released a couple of days ago. but still I have to ask, why a new release every 6 months? Is that not too quick? Would 2 years not be a better solution? and a new LTS every 7 or may be 10 years? Or is that still me think in MS terms?

The ubuntu LTS releases are for 5 years. A new LTS release is out every two years.
Only the in-between releases (non LTS) have a support of 9 months.
How I see things is that the in-between releases are like a testing ground. They use them to test new features and applications, new kernels etc. When they see that these features are good and stable they either backport them to the LTS release or install them by default in the new LTS release.

Hence the point (.) releases.
For example Ubuntu 12.04.4 is the LTS release but with the HWE (hardware stack - i.e. kernel, mesa, xorg etc.) of ubuntu 13.10.
The next point release will be 12.04.5 which will have the HWE of ubuntu 14.04.

Wolfgang02

Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:33:33 pm

Kinda makes sense :D

So Zorin 8 is a testing ground before these features are implemented in Zorin 9 (assuming that is the number) LTS.

Wolfman

Fri Apr 25, 2014 5:37:58 am

well I wish they would test harder, my HDMI soundcard still isn't working in Ubuntu 14.04 with Nvidia drivers!. :D :D :D

Wolfgang02

Fri Apr 25, 2014 11:10:18 pm

Wolfman wrote:well I wish they would test harder, my HDMI soundcard still isn't working in Ubuntu 14.04 with Nvidia drivers!. :D :D :D

Who writes the drivers (Ubuntu or Zorin)?

Wolfman

Sat Apr 26, 2014 9:07:27 am

"Who writes the drivers (Ubuntu or Zorin)?"

Nvidia write the drivers but there is always something not quite right hence this thread!:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2490

We'll get there in the end!. :D

Wolfgang02

Sat Apr 26, 2014 11:41:48 am

That looks lengthly and well done to you for writting in such an easy to understand manner. Us Windows users are not used to this kind of work to get our drivers to work.

From my understanding then Zorin follows the Ubuntu release versions which means that Zorin is tied to Ubuntu so I am guessing to move away from Ubuntu would be harder.

Are Debian drivers better written and if so, why can't these been used instead?

Wolfman

Sat Apr 26, 2014 1:39:00 pm

The codes are written by the Nvidia devs in the case of the drivers and I assume packaged by another dev responsible for doing the Debian packaging?. Neither Debian or Ubuntu are allowed to alter the coding afaik!.

Wolfgang02

Sun Apr 27, 2014 9:51:34 am

Wolfman wrote:Neither Debian or Ubuntu are allowed to alter the coding afaik!.

Makes sense really due to copyrights and etc. (who knows their hardward better then the manufacturer?). I still struggle to understand the problem because I would expect the OS dev team to understand how to integrate the driver without flaws.

I have been reading a forum on how to install ATI drivers onto Zorin (see cite 1 and 2) and it mentions the .deb file extenstion. I am not a Linux expert but surely that would be a Debian file extension. As this driver could be found on the Ubuntu repository library then this would indicate that Ubuntu is using the Debian packaged drivers as well.

I have so much to learn with regards to Linux and Zorin. I did find this (see quote below) and it made sense as to why there are difficulties with installing some display drivers.

Drivers in Linux are called kernel modules. The Linux Kernel contains many thousands of hardware drivers that run in kernel space.

However in contrast to windows, some graphics drivers, notably Nvidia and ATI run in User space and have to be downloaded separately. Once downloaded and installed the driver provides a module for the kernel to use, fglrx in the case of ATI cards.
(cite 1).

This makes understanding the problem with your driver more understandable.

From what I have been able to gather is that Ubuntu is built on Debian and Zorin is built on Ubuntu (correct me if I am wrong). So the question may be "Can Zorin be built on Debian?"

Citations/ further reading:
1. Luismi. "Need Help on How to Install a Driver in Zorin." Need Help on How to Install a Driver in Zorin - Tech Support Forum. Ed. Hal8000. TechSupport FORUM, 20 Nov. 2011. Web. 26 Apr. 2014. http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f64/need-help-on-how-to-install-a-driver-in-zorin-613604.html.
2. Unkown. "Ubuntu Natty Installation Guide." Ubuntu Natty Installation Guide - Unofficial AMD Linux Community, 30 Jan. 2013. Web. 26 Apr. 2014. http://wiki.cchtml.com/index.php/Ubuntu_Natty_Installation_Guide#Installing_the_drivers_manually.

PS: I feel like a tiny fish in the largest of oceans - and that is why it is fantastic and imperative to have this forum because people like Wolfman, madvinegar, Swarfendor437 and the rest of community who like to help and share information so people like me can get to grips with this awesome OS.

Wolfman

Sun Apr 27, 2014 12:09:03 pm

Hi,

you could have looked here too. :D

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=6951

Linuxgamer94

Tue May 06, 2014 3:43:41 am

could it be done? no. Unlike Mint Zorin relys heavly on Ubuntu and again unlike Mint I have not seen any of the devlopers make a single threat to leave Ubuntu, unlike Clem. Again I dought it would be done unless ubuntu does something pretty stupid like they did with mint.

Swarfendor437

Tue May 06, 2014 8:27:48 pm

Linuxgamer94 wrote:could it be done? no. Unlike Mint Zorin relys heavly on Ubuntu and again unlike Mint I have not seen any of the devlopers make a single threat to leave Ubuntu, unlike Clem. Again I dought it would be done unless ubuntu does something pretty stupid like they did with mint.

Which was? I thought some Key devs from Mint have left anyway to set up SolydXK! ;) And having watched a review on YouTube linked from Solyd's site, the presenters felt that SolydXK felt more like Debian than Mint did - they know their stuff! :D