This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Why not USB Installation supported?

Anonymous

Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:46:06 am

I have looked many installation topics in the forum and quides related to install the os. using DVD. It is allways the first alternative in quidance. My question here is why USB installation is not supported as well, even if it is at least as easy to do and more secure, having writing errors possibility almost zero.

There is also possibility to make at the same time the persistent file to USB and run it as "try" like HDD installed os. keeping all settings, like keyboard, time zone, different themes, background and so on. That is not case if DVDlive is used. You can make settings but those are lost after every shutdown. Also the speed of os. corresponds more that what it is when installed on HDD if using a high reading speed USB drive.

My clear recommendation here is that USB installation should be considered as an equal or even better alternative whether the computer can boot from USB. The advantage is that you get more out of that installation and it is easy and secure method. Increasing problem is that in new laptops there is not any more CD/DVD drives.

Swarfendor437

Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:09:29 am

Hi, the reason why DVD is advised is to make an install to the Hard Drive - nothing to be afraid of! :D

I think USB's can be problematical as sometimes the system might see it as a separate drive and requests a dismount before installing (to hard drive) - I am of course referring to the scenario where some people don't have a burner but want to install to hard drive with USB. I gave up on persistence as it seemed to be taking for ever to create, so I just use a plethora or distros on my 32 Gb to play with - personally, I am not too bothered about maintaining settings, just nice to have a portable secure system while browsing the web! ;)

Anonymous

Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:35:51 am

Yes, it will take some time to create a persitent file, 20 to 25 min. if the size is set up to 4 Gb. :roll:------- :roll: ------- :roll: But it creates it without any assistance, so that time can be used to take a cup of coffee. Then it is ready to run. :D If that is not wanted to have to save that time it can be left out. :)
The persistent file could be even smaler 1 to 2 Gb to reduce the installation time and memory usage if only settings are kept there. If it does not give anything, so it doesn't even take anything. This might not be an issue not to use USB.

To overcome the problem that the system may see it as a separate drive to be dismounted, then a DVD can be burned of that os.iso file which you have tried and selected to install to HDD. :idea: I believe that doesn't happend however very often.

In the official installation guide it is not even mentioned the possibility to use USB instead of DVD !
http://zorin-os.com/installguide.html