This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Serving Humanity

Zorinator

Mon Apr 28, 2014 2:23:07 pm

Humanity.....being humane.......it is so easy to get it right but easier to mess up relationships. I never asked others how they experience this, but my interaction with my computer, a dead thing made in a factory, remains an emotional experience. When I write, or do something to try solve an issue, I pour myself out, completely. In finding solutions over the past few weeks, for different people in different places, I managed to catch some sleep some of the nights but, like last night, I never even slept.

My right eye is very weak, a birth defect. My left eye was hurting all day, inflamed because of over-exertion. Obviously I also did not sleep last night, because I needed to get my system up and running, as I need it for doing volunteer work.

Someone made a rude remark, one that usually would have gone unnoticed by me. But, today, my own voltage is below 1.5 and I need a good scandisk, defrag and a reboot like an old XP box. Sometimes, systems need to shut down and then start afresh.

How are we wired?
How are we programmed?
Why do we react differently to similar inputs under variable circumstances? Is it a software flaw, mental programming that needs an urgent update? Or is it a hard-wired problem that can only be fixed by surgery?

It makes me wonder: how different are we from the systems we are using?
Can we be effective without updates and upgrades of our minds and bodies?

I would love to hear how others perceive this aspect of everyday life.

How is this relevant to Zorin?

Because we get a product that actually works, one that is polished and well-engineered, served in a way that brings back humanity to Linux.

May others follow in the good Zorin tradition!

Swarfendor437

Tue Apr 29, 2014 6:27:02 pm

My concern on that point would be 'transhumanism' - if we don't willingly become 'cybermen' you will get deleted! So no I am not a fan of what could be perceived as 'Mengelism' where everyone is perfect - what a boring world that would be! So no, I am not a fan of Mr. Kurzweil either - in a nut shell 'Community' is the way forward, as 'Community' meets the needs of others and not the greed of one person or conglomerate - Death to transglobalisation is what I say! ;)

Enter Richard John Stallman! :D

Zorinator

Tue Apr 29, 2014 6:54:14 pm

I think that, at least in my neck of the woods, Linux users left the world of proprietary systems for the freedom that it offers, for offering solutions that allow them to be who they want to or are destined to be.

I live in nation where people freely voted to be oppressed, because they were evaluation their position, using assumptions based upon the ill-informed opinions of others. They did so because they are gullible, perhaps also because they do not read and their real world is found in soap box opera's from abroad, or in similar presentations from home. They follow the herd and create a stampede. To me, that means that they have no idea of who they are and they also do not know how systems they are using one dill will enslave them in ways hitherto unthinkable.

The Linux world has its own harvest of rebels, in a good sense, many of use are people who think outside of the box and see the bigger picture. The mere effort to provide us with Linux, comes from a pioneering spirit, sometimes enhanced by a need of recognition, sometimes by a desire to help others, sometimes mere curiosity. The beauty of it all is that we have been set free to adapt, alter, configure our systems so that it accommodates how we work, even who we are. Now, I do not become my system but my system to a large extent becomes part of me.

Linux works for me because it is based upon a belief system that I subscribe to, which is to serve humankind with humanity. It is a way to build community and one that works. Like Linux, we need to replicate our successes but one will soon find that what works in Shreveport,LA does not work in Rarotonga or somewhere in Kenya. Every time, the basic method/system need to be adapted for use in that specific community application. be it education, healthcare, infrastructure: every new location has its own particular circumstances. In much the same way, we as a Linux community become involved in ways that teach us how to anticipate other aspects of human life. We can apply the same philosophies and principles in building communities wherever we are and wherever we may be going. Collaboration in a selfless way is something missing from life nowadays, but one tends to find its semblance in communities like Linux, most definitely we have seen that the Zorin people have a heart.

It is encouraging to see that, after all, there are people left upon the planet who can think for themselves and also who make a positive contribution out there.

Wolfman

Wed Apr 30, 2014 5:45:04 am

Hi Z,

sounds like you need some cheering up mate!. :D

when things look grim, do what I do, sing a song, because music soothes the soul of the savage beast!. :D

Also I try and live by the comments in my signature!. :D

Swarfendor437

Wed Apr 30, 2014 12:11:41 pm

You can also wear yourself out by doing too much - people around you should be advising you to take it easy - people will have to wait while you recharge your batteries!

Good advice from Wolfman and for a plethora of music, go to www.jamendo.com - it's all free and legal

My favourite chillout music is 'Tunguska Electronic Music Society' and their 'Chill Out Grooves' albums - helped me back at work after a long Stress-related absence! :D

Zorinator

Wed Apr 30, 2014 12:18:19 pm

Thanks......purrhaps good advice for an.incurable workaholic B-)

Wolfman

Thu May 01, 2014 6:40:14 am

HI Z,

if you are going to help so many people, try getting them all together in a group so as to lighten the load, teach them all at once!. :D

Zorinator

Sat May 03, 2014 1:13:06 am

Wolfman wrote:HI Z,

if you are going to help so many people, try getting them all together in a group so as to lighten the load, teach them all at once!. :D

Africa is a bit too big for just that and communications is by road, not through a cloud (unless you own a small aircraft and find a physical cloud)

That Jamendo site is nice; will visit it when I go to wifi from tme to time.

Wolfman

Sun May 04, 2014 5:48:31 am

Hi Z,

I actually meant local groups!. You could also do classes via Skype of something similar!. :D