This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Zorin OS Support

PPanikowski

Tue May 06, 2014 5:35:50 pm

I'm new to Linux and confused, Win XP stopped support in April and I understand that Zorin 8 ends support in June/July. Actually, what does that mean? A new version? More donations? Download a new Linux? I recently retired and looking at various OS's and trying to learn some of them. Thank You for your help.

Swarfendor437

Tue May 06, 2014 8:56:21 pm

Hi, the current release is based on 13.10 which runs out in June, but Zorin 6 is the current LTS (Long Term Support) release, which expires in 2017 (April).

You can get it from the mirrors listed here:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=6180

Just go to the /6 folder of the site geographically nearest to you and go for 6 straight, the original based on Ubuntu 12.04.

Hope this helps.

Distros 'expire' in GNU/Linux because of Kernel updates and changes in Softwares that need to match the updated kernel and therefore security patches are no longer provided. But remember, GNU/Linux is provided at virtually nil cost compared to M$ products! :D

PPanikowski

Tue May 13, 2014 6:24:58 pm

Thank you for your help....Zorin 6 (LTS) is workinh perfectly.

PPanikowski

Tue May 13, 2014 6:25:41 pm

working

PPanikowski

Wed May 28, 2014 5:54:26 pm

Again I'm confused. I'm running Zorin 8 on one of my computers (Still learning) and after updating some software, i received a message the states "The software on this computer is up to date. However, Untuntu 14.04 is now available (You have 8)." Should I update? Will I lose the zorin desktop? Also, is there a tutorial (for beginners), i am very, very green at this Linux stuff but I want to learn as much as I can without all the high tech talk. I am recently retired and not a savvy with Linux (Yet).

Thanks,

Paul

Swarfendor437

Wed May 28, 2014 10:48:44 pm

Hi, no, don't update to Ubuntu 14.04 or you will break your Zorin install! This should be set to 'Never' in respect of Software Manager Settings - update to Ubuntu latest release. Wait for Zorin 9 to be released in due course - Wolfman has written a guide on how to upgrade to newer Zorin here:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=7284

Wolfman

Thu May 29, 2014 7:17:52 am

Hi Paul,

you can download a free Ubuntu manual from here, there is no Zorin manual!:

https://ubuntu-manual.org/