This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

If Zorin is so great.How come that the whole world isn't ?

Aftermass

Thu May 29, 2014 1:23:07 am

I have tried Zorin OS,And find it to be just like the old os of Lindows aka Linspire
that really wasan't a huge success.Sure you can make it look like Windows 7 or Windows XP,But still
it cannot recognize Windows programs without Wine.You can't even set up your heads up display to full display.
The highest I ever gotten to is 1024x768. I am using Linux Mint 16,and it allows me to go to full display of my 42" LCD Screen.
and recognizes my 2 gig video card.Sorry Zorin does not.....The OS is likw Windows 3.11 for work groups...when do you think the World would be using Linux instead of Microsoft.I can tell ya that answer,real easy.....When it can play World of Tanks,without the help of Wine or other programs and it sets up with ease.Linux is always going to be the a** end of the joke,against Microsoft....Instead of putting out Operating Systems out on Distrowatch for people to download with a different name to them all,but run the same,look the same.....make one that cdan do everything that Windows can do.Then maybe Linux would have a fighting chance in the competition of Operating systems.Linux will never beat Windows or Zorin,or what ever Linux names their OS.....Aftermass

Swarfendor437

Thu May 29, 2014 11:47:47 am

Well for starters, Zorin is nowhere near like Lindows/Linspire/Freespire (I have used both Linspire and Freespire in the past - and Freespire was better at detecting hardware than Knoppix 2.9 when I had to recover a student's data!). What Zorin aims to do is to help Windows users migrate to Linux - it does NOT purport to be Windows!
Secondly, not all Windows users are hardened gamers - the world population is ageing and an ageing population is highly unlikely to be playing World of Tanks! ;)
Don't moan about GNU/Linux needing WINE to run Windows games - lobby the software makers to make games for GNU/Linux!

If you are having issues with your Graphics and Monitor then post in the Help and Support Section - you never know - we might just get it to work (if we have enough detailed information that is!) :D

Bloggsworth

Fri May 30, 2014 4:59:27 pm

Windows like is not Windows.

Would you buy a Honda then complain to a motoring magazine that it doesn't drive like a BMW, would you moan that your Honda isn't rear-wheel drive and has't got the whirling propellor badge? You have bought an apple and are complaining that it doesn't taste like a pear. We are not all gamers, and if we wanted to be we might buy a GameBoy, or whatever they're called nowadays.

As suggested, instead of whining, post the full details of your problem and see if someone can help you with it.

Anonymous

Fri May 30, 2014 5:05:32 pm

Those little problems he's referring to.... should be a walk in the park for him..with his technical background !!!!
:lol: :lol: :roll: :roll: :lol: :lol:

Linx

Sat Jul 05, 2014 3:05:59 pm

Clearly you have a lack of understanding when it comes to running windows programs on Linux machines.

Microsoft owns directX, which is a collection for APIs. MOST games are written for proprietary Microsoft DirectX.

All you need to do is get Microsoft to recompile dx for Linux and clutter your computer with every dll ever created, and translate any proprietary system calls and you can get anything to run.

Mike Walsh

Sat Jul 12, 2014 3:37:24 pm

Well said, Linx.

These people absolutely amaze me. They get rid of Windows (but want to keep all the programs), install what they see as a free version of Windows (unfortunately, I think Artyom has kinda kicked himself in the unmentionables with this one, 'cos it looks so LIKE Windows, some people think it is!), which it isn't.....it's a free ALTERNATIVE to Windows, that just happens to resemble it.

Then they think, "Oooh, let's install so-and-so on here..." And find that it doesn't work.

THEN they get all snotty, and start bitching that their fave program doesn't work on Zorin; and why doesn't it? Because it's NOT Windows.....it's Linux.

It's the old syndrome of people who pay for an OS, having access to backup & assistance, and bitching if they don't get what they see as their God-given right; and then moving to Linux, and thinking they still have those same rights.....forgetting that virtually ALL the work on the Linux kernel, and most of that on the various distros, has been carried out, free of charge, by dedicated volunteers, who certainly don't get paid for their efforts..!

What these people REALLY want is the top-spec edition of whatever version of Windows is extant at the time ('8.1', I believe...? *Ho, ho...*).....without having to pay a penny for it; free, gratis, and for nothing.

What price capitalism, eh?

I used to belong to their ranks, too; only I had a tad more sense in my noggin than to believe that any piece of software would work on ANYthing... I finally deserted the 'sinking ship' of XP because I was getting fed up to the back teeth with the constant crashes, freezes, BSODs, etc, etc...... Having moved to Linux, I now find that I can get stuff through the software Centre that will replicate almost anything that I used in XP, with the exception of ONE photo-editing program with which I'd become very adept; and I run that in Wine, with great success.

I'm just grateful that WINE exists!

I'm not a gamer; never saw the point in wasting my time on all that malarkey, when I could be productively getting on with a task where I actually had something to SHOW for my efforts at the end of it!

I'm now running no fewer than FIVE different Linux distros...and having a whale of a time with every single one of them. More power to the GNU!

Regards,

Mike.

BobMontgomery

Tue Jul 22, 2014 3:31:52 am

Really? If you are not happy with Zorin, pick up your marbles and go home. I don't like the Ubuntu 14.04 release but I don't go on their forum and bad mouth it.

efbe

Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:01:53 am

The only thing that keeps Windows on one of my pc's is because.... if i want to change to a different internet provider (due to cheaper costs or whatever) or buy a new wi fi modem you can't set it up through Linux, (or i don't know how) here in Australia for example, i'm with probably the biggest internet providers in Australia (Telstra) and they do not recognize or have anything to do with Linux with their internet / home plan set ups..so what i have to do is use Windows and the disc supplied to install the modem drivers / wi fi etc.. then boot up my pc that has Linux, detects my wifi, put in the password and and away i go... Hopefully that will change in the future and i can do away with Windows forever.

Ps..i forgot to mention that Zorin is my OS of choice :)

Swarfendor437

Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:45:29 am

efbe wrote:The only thing that keeps Windows on one of my pc's is because.... if i want to change to a different internet provider (due to cheaper costs or whatever) or buy a new wi fi modem you can't set it up through Linux, (or i don't know how) here in Australia for example, i'm with probably the biggest internet providers in Australia (Telstra) and they do not recognize or have anything to do with Linux with their internet / home plan set ups..so what i have to do is use Windows and the disc supplied to install the modem drivers / wi fi etc.. then boot up my pc that has Linux, detects my wifi, put in the password and and away i go... Hopefully that will change in the future and i can do away with Windows forever.

Hi efbe, feel free to sign up to ultimateeditionoz.com/forum - tell Blackwolf swarfendor437 sends his regards - they will get yo sorted! ;)

madvinegar

Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:28:57 pm

I do all that from the router's web interface. No need for a CD even in windows. Just open the browser, log into the ip of the router and make any changes/alter any settings you need.

Linx

Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:43:49 pm

efbe wrote:The only thing that keeps Windows on one of my pc's is because.... if i want to change to a different internet provider (due to cheaper costs or whatever) or buy a new wi fi modem you can't set it up through Linux, (or i don't know how) here in Australia for example, i'm with probably the biggest internet providers in Australia (Telstra) and they do not recognize or have anything to do with Linux with their internet / home plan set ups..so what i have to do is use Windows and the disc supplied to install the modem drivers / wi fi etc.. then boot up my pc that has Linux, detects my wifi, put in the password and and away i go... Hopefully that will change in the future and i can do away with Windows forever.

I just log into the router and set everything up, most broadband connections don't actually need configuration, normally it will work by default, the disk is for a super simple setup help walk-though thing.

efbe

Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:13:23 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:

Hi efbe, feel free to sign up to ultimateeditionoz.com/forum - tell Blackwolf swarfendor437 sends his regards - they will get yo sorted! ;)

Thanks mate..i think i am already a member there.. :)

efbe

Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:24:06 pm

Thanks madvinegar and Linx... but your talking to some one and probably many more like me who are not that tech savy if you know what i mean?. There might be many out there who want to use Linux but like myself have no idea how to get the internet up after installing a new modem or has moved to a new internet provider under Linux.. although i think i know now thanks to this forum. Perhaps an article regarding this should be written or posted (in simple terms) around the traps to help those who need help when changing providers / modem.
Cheers.

madvinegar

Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:33:49 am

If you turn your modem upside down you will see an IP address. Most of the times is 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.0.1

When you power on your modem and you connect it to your laptop (no need for internet connection - just connection between your pc and modem), then you open a browser and you write on the address bar the IP you found on your modem and hit enter.

You will probably be asked for a username and a password (these can be found in the instruction manual of your router - or they may be reffered on the bottom of the router together with the IP of the web-interface) and once you write these, the web interface of the router will open and you can do all the changes you want. You then save and exit.