This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Multi-media edition

Acer DeVille

Sun Jun 08, 2014 2:06:12 pm

I noticed on the Zorin homepage, that there is a multi-media edition, however I could find no documentation, or download link for it. Does it still exist in 8 and later, or has it been discontinued? If it does still exist, can anyone tell me if it would be useful for using a capture device to record tv shows and movies, for burning to DVD? Thanks guys, I would be lost without you.

Swarfendor437

Sun Jun 08, 2014 8:47:15 pm

What do you mean by 'capture device' exactly? :D

Acer DeVille

Sun Jun 08, 2014 10:49:45 pm

It's the same thing as a TV Tuner video card, it captures a video stream from a tv, dvd player, or other type of video player and converts it to a format the computer can read. Then you can either watch the show/movie while on the road, or burn to dvd for use in any player, or whatever else you want. This is just a external usb device instead of a pci-e card. I know that like Mythbuntu would work perfect, except I don't really want to go with something that extreme. Zorin multimedia ed. has some built in functionality but isn't as extreme as Mythbuntu (from what I've read). There are dozens of programs that according to their description would work, except I've downloaded a lot of programs over the years just to find out the description, while not entirely wrong, gave impression of being capable of things it isn't capable of.

Swarfendor437

Mon Jun 09, 2014 12:00:26 pm

OK, well the first thing you should do is look for the GNU/Linux equivalent for TV/Capture drivers - I had to do this some years back when I used some package for my Voodoo TV/FX with Radio card.
The key components you will need are video4linux (v4l) drivers and the name of the Capture chipset that is deployed in the card. I will need to look at this when I get back home! ;)

Swarfendor437

Mon Jun 09, 2014 5:14:21 pm

Hi, No guarantees but I would firstly install gnome-dvb-daemon and any other ancillary packages of a similar name via synaptic - keep us posted! :D

Acer DeVille

Mon Jun 09, 2014 7:38:49 pm

Thanks, I looked at the things in earlier response, and it looks like what you've given me so far will be what I'm looking for. I figured there was a way of doing it without getting a lot of bloat.