This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Looking to move from ubuntu natty to zorin, please advise?

ramidavis

Sat Jun 28, 2014 8:14:56 am

I have a laptop with a ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4650, and am running on ubuntu natty 11.04.
For the longest time, i have been reluctant to upgrade to any higher version of ubuntu, or even a different linux os at, for fear of hardware issues. (i.e. i read that ati now considers this card "legacy", and that the legacy drivers from ati do not seem to work with this card on newer X.org versions)

Has there been any type of "fix" for this? I do not consider my self a heavy gamer, per say, but i do definitely go by the phrase "as long as it works, leave it alone"
I have found the fglrx driver to work better then the linux radeon driver. (currently using catalyst 12.2)
I would love to see a newer, more up to date os installed on my laptop, but not at the cost of hardware incompatibilities with hardware that is currently working flawlessly for me.

What would you recommend?

While not a huge issue, i must also say that i do not really care for the look of gnome's newer versions. If possible, i would love to keep a classic gnome 2 feel.

A last note, i am on dial-up and have heard that gnome 3 has issues with my current dialer app, gnome-ppp. I do not remember all the details, but i think the issue had to do with gnome 3's panel not being the way gnome-ppp expects it to be?

Swarfendor437

Sat Jun 28, 2014 9:49:48 pm

HI, I have a computer with on-board ATi graphics chipset - when I put fglrx on it screwed up the graphics. I am not sure if Zorin comes with PPPoE by default. But I thiink AVLinux 6.0.1 does - but wait to be corrected. Basically I would try and download the 32-bit image of Zorin 9 and try it live before taking it any further - at least you should be able to explore the desktop and see what network applications are available. :D