This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

OS update and programs

dcds1

Sun Jun 29, 2014 2:00:28 pm

I have been starting to get interested in Linux OS since Steam has implemented some great new features to make games work on Linux. I have tried SteamOS beta, but truely didn't like the whole layout for a gaming computer, it is great for and htpc. After searching around on the internet I came across zorin gaming version.

The information I am trying to find out is if I have to reinstall programs every time I update OS in Linux? I currently run all my programs on a different hard drive than my OS. I also have my user doc, download, and ect. on another hard drive. Every time you reformat your OS drive with Windows you have to reinstall every program. Do you have to do that with Linux or can you just update your OS and go to the program drive and make your programs work?

I also have another quick question. Do you have to run the Ultimate Edition or is the Gaming Edition fine? If I end up switching, I do want to donate to support improvements to the OS. I am just not sure if I really need the Ultimate Edition when I would only be using it for gaming, internet, ebooks, movies, music, and occasionally for office apps.

I would like to thank anybody that can give me any insight to the questions I have. I have been trying to google the answers with out any luck so far.

Anonymous

Sun Jun 29, 2014 2:10:31 pm

If Zorin OS comes out with a LTS Gaming Edition in [ Zorin OS 9 Release ]
You won't have to do [ none-of-the-above ] !!!! [ LTS = 5 Years ]
One question can be answered...that is the [ Gaming Edition ] will work for ya just fine.
Wait on Swarfendor to answer your other question...for he can answer that one more clearly.

Swarfendor437

Sun Jun 29, 2014 8:21:37 pm

There is a way to update without losing everything - you need to read Wolfman's post install guide regarding upgrades to newer releases. Gaming comes with LibreOffice, Google Chrome as the default browser but you can choose between Firefox, Opera and Midori if you prefer those browsers. For e-books that won't be on Gaming but is on Ultimate (Calibre - http://calibre-ebook.com/), movies - xbmc comes on Ultimate but I don't think it comes with gaming - easy enough to install via synaptic package manager I think. Music - just for listening? If so the default should suite you but I much prefer Clementine with its visualisation plugin of ProjectM - to give you a taste of what I mean:

http://vimeo.com/63678606

Basically your applications are stored in the 'system' part - the 'preferences' (personal settings) for each application is in a hidden file which starts with a '.' e.g., '.firefox' in '/home' so if you want to preserve these, be sure to press 'Ctrl+ H' before backing up your '/home' folder - this is where all your music, videos are kept - as for games I am not running any at the moment apart from 'Gun Metal' an old Windows game which is in '.wine' - this is where all Windows applications reside - in your '/home' folder. So your system partition would hold all your Linux Games and if you had your '/home' on an external drive, this would be where all your game settings would be kept but not the GNU/Linux games. Five years should be long enough for you anyways before you need to do any backups if needed - hopefully by then 'roll-ups' should appear (here's hoping!) :D

dcds1

Mon Jun 30, 2014 12:14:00 am

Thank you again for your time. I can tell I am way over my head with the idea of switching over to Linux. I am going to have to do a lot of reading just so I know how to set up the hard drives the way I want them, if I even can. But I am not in that big of a hurry to switch to Linux. I just have to admit seeing SteamOS and how many games are starting to become Linux capable, I truely do want to switch and learn it, but I have to admit it is very confusing.