This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Zorin Lite is Awesome!

Jim S

Tue Jul 15, 2014 6:44:42 pm

I just want to give kudos to the Zorin team. I had an older Dell Dimension 3000 running XP & decided to load Zorin Lite instead of trashing it when support was stopped. I have to say that I like it very much. I couldn't boot from USB or DVD so I had to use a CD bootable flavor. I tried other OS but decided on Zorin because of the similarity to Windows. The Lite version offers everything I needed. At first I was disturbed that I had no sound after the install. I was able to search & find the solution although it was all new to me. Everything else has been working out of the box, including streaming videos. So, I decided to load it onto a very old laptop. Zorin Lite brought new life to it, although the graphics are slow which is not Zorin's fault. I also have it running parallel with Vista on another machine. Linux is so much faster than Windows in every way. Boot up times are phenomenal as well as the shut down. I leave Chromium as the browser since I have had no issues with it. I'm still experimenting with packages & other software & find some of them really cool. I do wish I could load the full version to see what the differences would be. I will probably not go back to windows since I'm becoming familiar with Linux. So, thanks to the Zorin team for providing a great OS.

Swarfendor437

Tue Jul 15, 2014 7:56:10 pm

Hi Please be aware that all flavours of Zorin Lite are now end-of-life until Zorin 9 lite is released! :D

Jim S

Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:19:18 pm

Thanx. Will I be able to upgrade easily w/o dvd?

Swarfendor437

Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:26:35 pm

Hi I haven't used Lite since 6 - please check out Wolfman's Post-install guide for Core - don't know if same procedure with Lite.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2054

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4835

Having just scanned the latter there is no advice on upgrades so I cannot advise - sorry! :(

gunfyter

Thu Jul 17, 2014 12:47:23 am

I was just offered a Distribution upgrade using Zorin Lite 6.2 on my EEE PC 701 and 900A. So is Zorin Lite 6 not supported? It seems to be working well and continuing updates.

I cannot go Ubuntu 14.04 or derivatives on the EEE PC because the Celeron M does not support PAE. Zorin Lite 6.2 LTS it is for the life of this netbook.

Swarfendor437

Thu Jul 17, 2014 8:17:45 pm

Hi gunfyter, I don't think 6.2 Lite was LTS as it (like all Lite versions) are usually 18 months tops, just like Lubunut on which they are based. You may well be getting application updates but would suspect that kernel updates will not have occurred for some time - the kernel is what contains security updates for the system.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1951653

This might be a good alternative for you:

http://www.linuxadvocates.com/2013/08/a ... extra.html

[sent from my LXLE 14.04 64-bit drive ;-)]

gunfyter

Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:47:07 pm

Thanks for the help and reply... I didn't know lubuntu did not have lts.

But according to mad vinegar it seems I may be getting what I want anyway. My favorite DE is the Zorin 6 lite. I believe the only thing not being updated is the DE which is the way I like it. :)

When zorin lite 9 comes out it will work on my EEE 900a with the Atom 270. I'll get to compare with the Eee 701 non PAE celeron m with zorin lite 6.

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=5295

madvinegar wrote:Lubuntu 12.04 is an LTS as regards the support for the packages, kernel and updates it will be getting (since it is based on ubuntu 12.04).
Only the graphical environment (desktop) of Lubuntu (lubuntu-desktop) is not LTS but has (as you said) support for 18 months.