This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

The future of the Zorin os

dr_web2

Sat Jul 19, 2014 7:15:14 am

Hi

Why there are two versions of zorin os? Why not be Zorin os Ultimate free also?

I think if Zorin os ultimate became free , will became zorin os competitor for Linux Mint and will donates a lot people for support the project such as donations that up for distro Linux Mint.

But if it continues distro zorin os same current way , I think will up to the same end the Mandriva distro .

* I'm not good in English I hope to be understandable words .

Swarfendor437

Sat Jul 19, 2014 9:41:50 am

Hi - the benefit of Ultimate is that it is reasonably priced for having all the software you are likely to need without having to search for additional softwares yourself - if you are competent in GNU/Linux then the Core will be your ideal choice as you will know how to install either by the command line (Terminal interface) or Synaptic Package Manager. The Ultimate has some Zorin proprietary softwares, such as the Web Browser Manager, Look Changer and Background Plus which you won't find anywhere else! :D

dr_web2

Sat Jul 19, 2014 11:24:50 am

Zorin os going in the same way Mandriva, and as you can see now Mandriva failed,

But if Zorin os became fully free, such as Linux Mint will be a competitor for all distributions will be support by donations ,

Linux Mint collect donations more than what is sold of Zorin os ultimate However , Linux Mint is not distro has Idea distinctive like Zorin os.

jonas99

Sun Jul 20, 2014 8:59:20 pm

I don't think Zorin is going anywhere soon. I have converted many of my friend to Linux. I tried Mint with some of them and they were to overwhelmed by it. They wanted Windows back. I then introduced them to Zorin. Now none of them want Windows back. I think Zorin is a much easier transition for them.

dr_web2

Mon Jul 21, 2014 3:33:33 am

I do not know if understandable my words or not,

what I want to say in this subject is should on the distro Zorin os make all the versions free and rely on donations to support the distro instead of selling zorin os ultimate

Will be donations more than selling zorin os ultimate.

Swarfendor437

Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:52:57 am

At the end of the day, that is down to the Admins as they control the outcome - as I stated earlier, they have 'proprietary' Linux apps in Ultimate/Premium you won't get in other distros but the equivalent of Background Plus had something similar in Ubuntu 7.10 by a user, not Canonical.

BobMontgomery

Tue Jul 22, 2014 3:15:28 am

All should be supporting this period. I donated last month for the download of OS 6 ultimate and then again for OS 9. Really, there was no reason to upgrade to OS 9. I simply donated and downloaded it. Now I have OS 6 ultimate on my laptop and OS 9 on my desktop. The point is, if you like it donate. You can download or not. But let us all support Zorin. A few dollars is a very small price to pay for such a fine product. If you cannot afford it, download the Core version.