This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

install

tom hamon

Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:54:02 pm

try to install zorin 9 to my windows old dell xp with using winMD5 after that i burn it to a dvd.then sut my pc down anwent into to boot it up in dvd. that did not work. so i went in to my bios an changed my windows to start up to boot up in the dvd.that did not work. what can i do to change to zorin

Swarfendor437

Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:09:08 pm

Hi, you have stated it is an old PC - this could be the issue and that you need Zorin Lite when it comes out (version 9). In the meantime could you give us the model of your Dell and its specifications? Processor, Memory, Graphics Card/chips, Optical Drive - Zorin needs DVD's not CD's! :D

tom hamon

Fri Jul 25, 2014 2:32:47 am

Swarfendor437 wrote:Hi, you have stated it is an old PC - this could be the issue and that you need Zorin Lite when it comes out (version 9). In the meantime could you give us the model of your Dell and its specifications? Processor, Memory, Graphics Card/chips, Optical Drive - Zorin needs DVD's not CD's! :D

tom hamon

Fri Jul 25, 2014 2:39:24 am

it has 64 processor 3200+, MMX, 3DNow, ~2.0GHZ NVIDIA GeForce 7300 LE 2 gigs ram

Swarfendor437

Fri Jul 25, 2014 12:03:54 pm

OK, in the past we had one forum member who could not get an install to work because there optical drive had never been cleaned with one of these:

http://www.allsop.com/cleaning-/dvd-carbon-edge-pro-/

Does the DVD work with other discs?

Can you get any screen up at all when you boot from the DVD - even the blue one with the picture of a keyboard and Accessibility icon?

tom hamon

Fri Jul 25, 2014 2:14:10 pm

:( has 64 processor 3200+, MMX, 3DNow, ~2.0GHZ NVIDIA GeForce 7300 LE 2 gigs ram

tom hamon

Fri Jul 25, 2014 2:24:49 pm

yes I get a blue screen with a keyboard then it goes away to dark screen

Swarfendor437

Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:57:06 pm

Hi, can you please refrain from double-posting - we are volunteers - we (Moderators) do not work for Zorin! Continual double-posting/bumping can lead to a temporary ban! ;)

Right, when you see the blue screen, press the spacebar - it should automatically launch the language setting (which is English by default - I don't know if Zorin will now install with the correct language - this is what normally appears on Ubuntu installs. If you are happy with the language, press 'Esc' (Escape key - top left of keyboard) and then press 'F3' to select Keyboard input - by default this is set to 'US' (United States) - use your cursor arrows to move to your desired keyboard input. Press 'Esc' again after selecting your desired keyboard input language and you will see the main options menu with the first one 'Try live without installing' - now press the enter key - the screen will go dark for quite a while - after some time you should get your mouse cursor to appear before eventually the blue desktop - the panel takes a while to load - remember this is all taking place in memory so it will take some time! :D