This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Zorin OS 9 vs OS 6

BobMontgomery

Sat Jul 26, 2014 4:14:21 am

Is there really any advantage to upgrade from OS 6 to OS 9? What are the advantages, if any? Thanks in advance. :)

Swarfendor437

Sat Jul 26, 2014 11:35:37 am

Well the principal advantage is that it lasts up until April 2019, but if you have a solid install of 6 and are happy with it, it will last until April 2017 - then you could switch to 9 - that said Ubuntu came out with 12.04, then 2 years later, 14.04 - who knows, perhaps by April 2016 there might be another LTS and Zorin could come out with Zorin 10! :D ;)

"If it ain't broke don't fix it!" :D

BobMontgomery

Sat Jul 26, 2014 10:11:25 pm

So there may be no advantage then. Updating simply to update seems a waste. People using Windows XP used it for some 10 years before Microsoft tried to force people to update. In other words, people seemed to be more interested in running their applications than simply updating an operating system. It almost seems that once Linux has reached a certain point, it is almost a waste to update what is working perfectly. I have Windows 7, Windows Vista (I finally installed Zorin over Windows XP). So now I have put Zorin 9 Ultimate (dual boot) on my fastest computer, Zorin 6 Ultimate (dual boot) on my next computer, and for now LXLI on my old levano R60 laptop (likely be replaced by Zorin Lite when it comes out.) ..... The only real reason to keep Windows is to run a few games that don't seem to run on Wine or Play on Linux at this time. I have enjoyed tweaking each desktop but when the day is over, an OS seems to be an OS to me. So maybe I'll wait for Zorin 12 before I update Zorin 6 unless someone convinces me there is a good reason to update.... I would love to hear what other people think. Also, if Linux would unite into a few great desktops maybe Microsoft would have something to worry about but right now it seems divide and conquer works well against the Linux world.

Swarfendor437

Sat Jul 26, 2014 11:35:38 pm

At the end of the day, GNU/Linux is about choice - there have been proponents of one DE and one system - but then we would be entering into the realms of M$ - no thanks - lets have choice, but choice that is well supported! ;)

Mike Walsh

Thu Aug 14, 2014 2:44:57 pm

Yah; not only choice, but FREEDOM of choice, at that!

But in all fairness, there ARE those of us who are more happy when we're constantly tweaking, upgrading or changing something, rather than getting to the point where you say,"Whoa; that's enough; just leave it alone.....it'll do."

But then again, I LIKE tweaking; I guess I'm never satisfied. Being an ardent photographer, as well as being into graphic design, I'm afraid I can ALWAYS see where there's room for improvement!

Regards,

Mike.

phelgan

Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:01:40 pm

I've been considered the same question and thought not.
No sooner reached that conclusion than being experiencing a few issues with my v6 set-up :( . Root partition filling up a bit too rapidly, and problems with a couple of applications not running (e.g. hardinfo).
So I've burnt the disc but not quite taken the next step yet.....

Swarfendor437

Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:32:45 pm

I think one of the issues with 6 (or rather Ubuntu 12.04) is that there were some 0 byte files that would fill up the '/home' folder and it was never established what caused the behaviour - madvinegar did write a script for that. Your root system could be getting filled up if you have never cleaned older kernels that are installed - you can either use Janitor in Ubuntu Tweak to clean things out, or use Bleach Bit. To check if you have duplicate files, install 'fslint'. :D

phelgan

Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:02:25 pm

I have a script I run every so often to remove all but the current and one prior kernel, but I must admit that I haven't much about other files. Thanks for the pointer re: 'fslint'.

phelgan

Sun Sep 07, 2014 9:54:01 pm

Okay, went for it and made the switch. Not a good idea to start at 10pm on a work night :(
After some problems trying to install from a damaged iso disc (trashing my old install in the process :o ) I go it going and I have to say early impressions are good.

For me the main push to change from 6 though was some issues I was having, which may or may not have been related to filling up the root partition. This way I have a clean install and a bigger root partition. Apart from that there is nothing about 9 that makes it a "must-do", but its only been a few days.

EDIT interesting screening at work on the posts. I mistyped "but its" (space in the wrong place :oops: ) and had a nice collection of asterix. Obviously would not be a good place to talk about what birds you see in the garden!!