This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

File and Disk Utilities in a Zorin OS Environment

FenderGuy53

Wed Aug 06, 2014 8:24:09 pm

Please forgive my ignorance, but I'm a very recent Zorin convert, having grown up in MS Windows World and just coming off a Windows 7 PC, and I have a few very basic questions.

So far, I'm loving Zorin 9; it's very fast, very user friendly (thanks to the Look Changer and Theme Changer), and came with most of the tools that I would ever need (including the Firefox browser, which I really like).

My question concerns the use of File and Disk utilities. Does Zorin have these maintenance utilities available in a GUI format? If so, where are they? In Windows World, I can easily uninstall programs, add/remove hardware, defrag hard drives, etc. Are those functions needed in Zorin? If so, how do I do them?

Thanks for any help, guys.

Swarfendor437

Thu Aug 14, 2014 6:04:33 am

Hi, File utilities - the default equivalent is Nautilus (= Windows Explorer) - you may like to install Thunar which some prefer a lot more to the default Nautilus - but DON'T remove it or you will kill Zorin! Other utilities are FSLint - this looks for duplicate files and removes the duplicates. In terms of Graphical 'Add/Remove' programs you are limited to 'Software Center/re' and 'Synaptic Package Manager'. As for defrag you don't need to do this as it is not Windows - it's GNU/Linux! Normally you don't have to run FSCK (File System ChecK = Chkdsk in Windows). If there are issues, Zorin should run this automatically at boot time - if you wanted to run it manually then you choose the 2nd Menu Option and boot in to Safe Graphics Mode and you get a long listed DOS-type menu to choose from.

Hope this helps - oh and if you install the 7-zip Windows version in Wine it works perfectly! :D