This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Zorin Virus Claim

SplatOz

Thu Aug 07, 2014 6:09:03 pm

http://zorin-os.com/tour.html
norisk.png
norisk.png (10.31 KiB)
People are in constant fear of viruses and malware in this digital world. Thanks to Zorin OS's immunity to Windows viruses you will never have to worry about them. Zorin OS also comes with integrated firewall software to keep your system extra safe. When a potential security threat arises, software updates usually come within a matter of hours through the Update Manager. With Zorin OS you are sure to have peace of mind.

I think some restraint is needed here. Yes, Zorin might be immune to *Windows* viruses but the statements above seem to imply that Zorin is somehow immune to being hacked - at least that's how I took them. No one writes perfect code but let's say that the Zorin Devs do. They're still dependant on Ubuntu's ability to write 100% secure code otherwise, any vulnerability found in whatever kernel Zorin & the others use, will likely affect Zorin.

Apple used to claim that they were immune from viruses but that was only because (and is more or less true today) most malware authors would rather spend their time writing malicious code for the 90% of computers out there running Windows than the 10% that are running MacOS and the rest. Apple doesn't make this claim anymore because there *is* malware out there for the Apple. And there are plenty of malware/hacks out there for Linux systems.

I think a more reasonable claim would be, "What OS would you rather go with? The one that has maybe 60 new vulnerabilities per year (Linux) or the OS that has 60000 new vulnerabilities per year (Windows)?"

Swarfendor437

Thu Aug 14, 2014 6:15:05 am

Hi, I think that ultimately, if you want a secure system you need to stick to mainstream software (Canonical partners), ensure that Firewall is turned on - it is off in 9 - was on by default in 8. I have posted elsewhere the dangers of downloading a tar.gz or other compressed file and not checked its contents only to see your GNU/Linux installation wiped out! Viruses are the wrong word for GNU/Linux - scripts which use Unix code that wipe your drive in tarballed packages are the main threat and failure to install updates when you are prompted by the Updates Manager - that is the only reason why GNU/Linux Servers got hacked - lazy Admins! ;-)