This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Zorin 8 vs 9

marx404

Wed Aug 20, 2014 3:45:06 pm

Just wondering, I am extremely happy with Zorin 8. Other than "it's newer", what would be the major reasons to upgrade to 9 ?

madvinegar

Wed Aug 20, 2014 5:53:07 pm

The support for Zorin 8 has officially ended. This means that you will not be receiving bug fix updates and especially no security updates.
Also the repositories of Zorin 8 will not be supported.
Zorin 9 is based on ubuntu 14.04 which is LTS (long term supported) and will be supported till 2019. The kernel used in Zorin 9 is much fresher with a lot of bug fixes, better hardware and driver support.

I would not recommend staying with Zorin8. Better install Zorin9 and then stay there till 2019.

marx404

Thu Aug 21, 2014 1:53:47 am

madvinegar wrote:The support for Zorin 8 has officially ended. This means that you will not be receiving bug fix updates and especially no security updates.
Also the repositories of Zorin 8 will not be supported.
Zorin 9 is based on ubuntu 14.04 which is LTS (long term supported) and will be supported till 2019. The kernel used in Zorin 9 is much fresher with a lot of bug fixes, better hardware and driver support.

I would not recommend staying with Zorin8. Better install Zorin9 and then stay there till 2019.

Point made! Ran the live cd and saw some changes, nice. Will be updating to 9 soon. BTW - If I wanted to donate by buying Premium version, can I pay with US currency and do I have to have a PayPal acct?