This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Hello from the US

Obsidian1723

Sun Aug 28, 2011 9:21:15 pm

Hello all.

I'm a new user to Zorin OS. I chose Zorin OS because it seems like a really well put-together Linux distribution. It uses gnome2, not Unity or gnome3, Zorin is based on Ubuntu (which I run on my main desktop and main laptop, both are Ubuntu 10.04.3LTS); Zorin OS has that nice feature of the "Look Changer". I run Zorin OS 3.1 on my spare laptop, and when I install Zorin OS 3.1 on the next PC I refurbish, I'll teach whoever I give it to how they can make it look like Windows XP, Windows 7 or Gnome 2. I've used a script to modify Zorin OS 3.1 and have remastered it to an ISO for my own use for any PCs I refurbish from now on, will get Zorin OS 3.1 on them.

I've updated LibreOffice and Firefox, added some applications and customizations, etc. I tried Zorin OS 5 and liked it, but I prefer more stable versions, so I went with Zorin OS 3.1, which is based on the stable Ubuntu LTS I'm already running. (I also prefer and use Debian and CentOS too)

As for me, I'm in my 40s and have been using computing technology for over 3 decades, starting in 1978. By day, I work in the IT Security world; and by night I own a small IT business as well as write a script for modifying Ubuntu-based Linux distributions. I'm also currently building out the server room in my house. Technology topics aside, I also write books and articles on topics both technical and not. Other areas of interest are metaphysics, philosophy, studying humankind, esoteric knowledge and workings,spirituality, traveling, music, movies, trivia, cats and other animals, BBQing, but not a fan of sports. I prefer the creative and intellectual pursuits instead.

Obsidian1723

Thu Sep 01, 2011 3:19:23 am

swarfendor437 wrote:Hi Obsidian, and welcome to the Zorin OS Forums - glad to hear you are a fan of Zorin!

Thank you swarfendor437. It's good to be here.