This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Inquiry from Potential user

KG4CSQ1999

Sun Feb 01, 2015 9:15:31 pm

Greetings, Currently I am running XP on both of my computers. The little one is a Toshiba N305; the big (desktop) is an AMD A6-3670 quad-core. I am strongly considering going to Zorin OS for both.
Is there any way that I could get either a DVD or a flash drive with the program set up as bootable - I do not really understand working with an iso. The flash drive would be easier as the N305 doe not have
an internal CD/DVD drive - but I do have an LG external CD/DVD drive with USB connector. Would be willing to pay for the convenience up to 75 USD.
Thank you.
Ralph

Swarfendor437

Sun Feb 01, 2015 10:11:04 pm

Hi, You say you have an external CD/DVD - is it a CDRW with DVD-ROM? if it is you won't be able to burn a dvd. Your quadcore should be fine - how much RAM is in the machine? (memory) and what Graphics card does the Desktop have? For the Toshiba you may have to install Zorin Lite. Now if you do install Zorin to the desktop I would recommend that you install MultiSystem 3 attached:

Then use an 8 Gb USB stick to create a MultiSystem bootable USB to install Zorin Lite to your Toshiba.

Vimeo tutorial on MultiSystem 3 here:

https://vimeo.com/104187694

:D

KG4CSQ1999

Sun Feb 01, 2015 11:54:26 pm

Thank you for the quick reply.
The mainframe has an AMD A6-3670 CPU running at 2.9 GHz with a Radeon HD Graphics card, and 2.99 G of RAM.
The little NB305 has an N450 CPU running at 1.66 GHz with 0.99 G RAM.
The external CD/DVD drive is an LG GP40NB40 8x DVD-R Writer with multidisk capability.
Hope this extra data helps - Thank you

Swarfendor437

Mon Feb 02, 2015 12:09:00 am

OK, if your desktop is 64-bit you could run that but to be on the safe side download the 32-bit version. If your external optical drive can write DVD's then you could burn Zorin Lite and install from that. I take it your desktop has a DVD burner? Does Windows report your processor as 64-bit? Gizmuntu can you advise if the processor is 64-bit! ;)

KG4CSQ1999

Mon Feb 02, 2015 2:18:10 am

According to the AMD website the A6-3670 APU will run 32 and 64 bit, but I have always run 32 bit XP and XP Pro. I never tried running anything after XP; too many problems reported.
Will double check with Gizmuntu above the capacity of the APU.

Anonymous

Mon Feb 02, 2015 2:00:30 pm

Stay with 32-bit on both .......
Desktop = Ultimate/Core
Notebook =Core/Lite

I myself would play with the core version for at least a month on the desktop before venturing upward to premium !!!!
For maximum performance on either.... stay within above quidelines........
And you'll remain a :D :D camper !!!!

KG4CSQ1999

Mon Feb 02, 2015 2:43:17 pm

Gizmuntu, Thank you for the input. Way back in the dark ages of computers (mid '70s) I learned Cobol and Fortan on an IBM 360.
Accounting Majors did not need to know computers as we had to work with paper and pencil ledgers, etc.
When someone talks about burning a CD - it is really geek-greek to me.
DOS, 3,3.1,3.11, 95,98, then XP - no games, word-processing, and email. MS Office stinks - personally
According to CPU World the 3670 architecture will handle 64 bits. Really love Pegasus Mail as an email client.
Thank you for the guidance.

Swarfendor437

Mon Feb 02, 2015 10:00:31 pm

Another vote for Pegasus Mail here but had issues with it on some accounts on XP - a TRUE mail client! :D