This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Zorin Lite and eeepc - a saga

Volksvegan

Tue Mar 03, 2015 2:29:11 pm

Right off the bat, I'll confess that I like the 900 series of eeepcs, although given my first experiences with them it's hard to understand why. I bought a 900A (16BG) in late '08, with the Linux Xandros distro designed, apparently, specifically for eeepcs. It did what it was supposed to (email, a couple of games, basic stuff) for a while then everything started slowly to poop out; wifi, touchpad, battery monitor. There was no way to upgrade the distro as far as I knew. I was coming from a W*****s background, so really didn't know how to do things well in Linux, and this distro didn't help much. It sat for a long time. Then I made a pared-down XP disc with nLite and loaded this. Everything worked! - but really chunkily, slowly and it seemed to always be on the brink of throwing in the towel - AND it was XP :roll: . Enter Zorin! I had found a couple of articles reviewing the use of Zorin Lite 9 on eees, so gave it a shot. It installed smooth as silk from an external DVD drive, ran great and I was even able to load some W*****s programs using Wine. It was easy to tweak and really easy to use because of all the great interface included with the package. I did a lot of post-install work gearing things specifically for this machine. Happy, happy, happy. [It seems like these little netbooks must have exact compatibility with Zorin Lite!] Now I'm the kind of person who gets apprehensive changing anything when it's working so well, so I had the bright idea to get another eee to experiment on. I picked up a 900 (barely used) for $20 (ridiculously cheap)! Unfortunately, this model only has a 4GB SSD. With the help of folks here, I was able to install Lite 9 on a 16GB Class 10 SDHC and it's running beautifully - not slow at all (which I thought it might). So, end of saga...now on to see what the limits of these little guys is.

eeepcs 3.jpg

(900 on left, 900A on right)

Swarfendor437

Wed Mar 04, 2015 12:53:10 pm

Nice! :D

Anonymous

Wed Mar 04, 2015 8:05:27 pm

They're cute, but arent those uncomfortably small?

Volksvegan

Wed Mar 04, 2015 10:01:19 pm

Actually, the keyboard is absolutely perfect for me (I have very small hands), but my husband finds it a bit small. I love the size and weight of these little eees! :) ...and the screen on the 900 series is actually not bad at all. I can throw this in my backpack and have a fully-functioning laptop (at least it's fully-functioning now that I have Zorin Lite on it) that doesn't weigh much at all.