This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

New user of Zorin 9

jclassic1

Wed Jun 10, 2015 5:10:02 am

I have just recently swapped over to using Linux as my only OS after being a Windows user for 30 years.
Over the last few days I have tried a few different types of Linux and have settled on Zorin as my favourite.
I liked Mint but as a casual user it had far more than I needed.
My computer is an old HP small frame desktop with 2gb of Ram and a 80gb hard drive.
I know this forum is not as active as the more popular versions of Linux but to me Zorin is just right for my needs.

I did burn a disc for the Lite version but it did not support my printer yet this version does so this is the one I will be using.

John

Wolfman

Wed Jun 10, 2015 6:10:39 am

Hi John,

install the package "hplip-gui" and you should be able to use your HP printer on any version of Linux including Zorin Lite!.

See the printer section here which covers HP printers:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2054

For Zorin Lite:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4835

To install via the terminal command (Ctrl + Alt + t):

Code:
sudo apt-get install hplip-gui

jclassic1

Wed Jun 10, 2015 8:01:09 am

Wow,thanks wolfman you have been a great help.
AS I am a very casual user and mainly use my computer for email and online shopping with a bit of browsing do you think the Lite version would suit me better.

I really like the way that Zorin works and is very similar to my old Windows 7 .

Thanks
John

Wolfman

Wed Jun 10, 2015 5:10:54 pm

Hi John,

if you are happy with what you are using, stick with it, Lite is better on older PC's though!. :D

jclassic1

Wed Jun 10, 2015 7:13:40 pm

Hi wolfman,
I have now installed lite along side Zorin 9 to do a comparison .To me it feels much the same in speed and functions to Zorin 9 .
If I need to can I UN-install the lite os without having to reload my setting in Zorin 9 or will I need to do a fresh install for Zorin 9 and input my settings again.

Wolfman

Thu Jun 11, 2015 5:54:43 am

Hi John,

as long as Lite is on partitions after Zorin 9, all you need to do is use the Zorin 9 Live Cd and erase/resize the Zorin Lite partitions with Gparted and then run the following terminal command (Ctrl + Alt + t) while still in Live Cd mode:

Code:
sudo update-grub

No password is required in Live CD mode!.

See this guide about partitioning if you need any help with that:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2601

jclassic1

Sun Jun 14, 2015 5:21:00 pm

Hi wolfman,thanks for your helpfull advice.
In the end I just did a fresh install with the Zorin 9 lite so that is all that is on my old computer now.

Everything is working well and I am very pleased with this OS.

John

Wolfman

Mon Jun 15, 2015 12:51:58 pm

Hi John,

don't forget to check out the Zorin Lite; post install guide:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4835