This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Time has come

maxmm5

Fri Sep 09, 2011 4:13:43 am

It's time to go nano for Zorin, I mean, Zorin OS 5 is too long to pronounce, hope to see the upcoming upgrade something like this... ZOR6.

Obsidian1723

Fri Sep 09, 2011 3:27:11 pm

I prefer the full name of Zorin OS. It's bad enough that people choose to shorten words for the texting culture, lets not do it to Zorin OS.

maxmm5

Sat Sep 10, 2011 7:00:46 am

Mr. Artyom Zorin is a man's name and I respect him for giving us the next generation operating system name Zorin OS, a brand name, trade name or public name, but not a man's name obviously for me. I can change the physical appearance of my OS entirely, as well as make the brand name shorter and this is what I go for Zorin OS, because the system allowed me to do so. The most well known and most used OS in the world adopt a 3 word+# as a version name, I'm just curious why not Zorin.

Obsidian1723

Sat Sep 10, 2011 4:50:49 pm

maxmm5 wrote:Mr. Artyom Zorin is a man's name and I respect him for giving us the next generation operating system name Zorin OS, a brand name, trade name or public name, but not a man's name obviously for me. I can change the physical appearance of my OS entirely, as well as make the brand name shorter and this is what I go for Zorin OS, because the system allowed me to do so. The most well known and most used OS in the world adopt a 3 word+# as a version name, I'm just curious why not Zorin.

Free software means "Free" as in Libre, not "Gratis", and because of this, the family tree may go from Debian > Ubuntu > Zorin OS, to Debian > Ubuntu > Zorin OS > maxmm OS. I think it's great that you can "change the physical appearance of my OS entirely", but any good Linux user can do that by replacing their DE and/or customizing it. It's really not that difficult to do; but adding code is. I myself simply respin an existing distro by customizing it with my bash script I write, and then using Remastersys to make a distributable copy ISO which I then burn and use on any PCs I refurbish. I've done that with Ubuntu 10.04LTS and Zorin OS Core 3.1. I'd add code, but I'm not a programmer, I'm a networking / security guy Programming ain't my bag, but man if it were, I have some ideas.

Where I'm going with this is......while what I do, I do for my own use, you can certain do the same thing and release your own distro. If you can program and add / fix / replace / remove code, all the better for you. So you can create your own spin/fork/distro, OR you can contribute to an existing project, which is what you are doing by making suggestions and using the software.

As a user of Zorin OS, I want to see Zorin OS used by many people as well as those who wish to make suggestions too, that'd be great..... and most suggestions are good and considerable, but changing the name of the distro isn't one of them. (Just like making gnome3 or unity the default DE wouldn't be a good move either.....) No offense is meant here... While I am against the name change of Zorin OS, (and I am NOT against your suggestion of it), I respect your opinion for it. I have to stand by with Zorin OS as the official name.

All that being said, I really like the artwork in your posts. I only speak for myself here, NOT for Zorin, Zorin Group, nor do I speak as a Moderator on this forum, I speak for my personal self..... I like what you do if that's your creative work. If it is, I suggest you offer up your creative talents to Zorin (OS, Group, Person) to create some backgrounds.

If that's something you do not want to do, or either party doesn't agree too, then I'd like to talk to you about some stuff I'd like done.