This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Sorry, have to gripe about the confirmation!

WinRiddance2

Tue Sep 01, 2015 10:08:15 am

When I signed up with the forum, there was of course a captcha at some point to finalize the registration process. There was also a message that read something to the effect of ... If you are vision impaired contact the forum administrator. Well, I have 20/20 vision and zero problems with my 1600 x 900 laptop screen resolution. I work with computers and the internet all day long, often 7 days per week, so it's important to me, to be able to see well.

The first captcha that I was able to see was a ridiculous "OMG" type of an image. So I opted for another one ... without much improvement. Alright, for the third image (see screenshot) I was pretty certain that I was finally able to decipher what was being asked of me ... although the "O" looking thing could have been a "0" as well. 50/50 shot at guessing right ... bummer, I guessed wrong of course, based on the fact that all of the others were letters.

confirmationcode.png

The point that I'm making here, primarily because I'm not at all vision impaired, is that when people join a forum the registration process should not be in any way complex, irritating, confusing, visually distracting, etc. So far I'm loving Zorin (10 core) which is cool as cool can be, but that "coolness" doesn't need to bleed over to the registration process of this forum. Do you know how I was finally able to enter the correct information? I used the CTRL + keyboard function 4 times and continued refreshing the image until it simply had to be (???) a no brainer. Isn't that a little ridiculous? Sorry ...
I'm sure future registrants would appreciate captchas that are easier to recognize accurately. :roll:

Anonymous

Tue Sep 01, 2015 12:32:53 pm

The Captcha's are there for reasons of security - to ensure that no-one here is a robot (e.g spammer). Although I agree to a point with that it was hard to read but the administrators will probably say it's on the registration form for a reason. This I doubt will change in the future unless a new feature is released though I'm not sure the owners have plans to change it now or in the future.......

WinRiddance2

Tue Sep 01, 2015 4:57:48 pm

I fully understand about the security aspect ... but bots don't actually have eyes ... so there's really no reason to make people squint and try to figure things out with multiple tries. It's not the representation of the image that makes the captcha work, but the embedded query within the visible string. It doesn't make a difference to a bot if you hide "2 plus 4 = what number" inside a very distracting image, or in a plain black & white text field. The query itself remains the same either way ...
Just saying ...

Swarfendor437

Tue Sep 01, 2015 8:45:07 pm

I use Captcha on my website for e-mail but not sure if I have the correct plugins as up-to-date versions also have 'audible' representations! ;) :D

Pierre

Wed Sep 02, 2015 11:08:12 am

do have to agree that some of those captcha's are awful,
and some are definitely worse than others.

once you, a real person, has typed in a response, and it was/is wrong,
& by the fourth attempt, you are getting somewhat peeved off.

some of them, could be done a whole lot better.