This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Theme & Color - Simple way to get this done?

WinRiddance2

Tue Sep 01, 2015 4:29:26 pm

I've been showing my wife the Red / Dark theme that I've been using and she was pretty bummed out about the lack of color variety for what appears to be a fairly simple theming process at first glance. Her favorite color is purple. I noticed in the taskbar preferences that portions of an existing theme can be altered, but it also looks as though such changes wouldn't apply to the entire theme? At least it doesn't look as though adjusting everything strictly in that particular area would provide the exact same changes as in one of the existing Zorin core themes?

Is there a generic file set that's located somewhere ... which could be copied over and over ... followed by altering the colors in the files of that file set in order to create a whole new theme? If not, is there some other relatively simple way for me to get me wife a purple theme? Of course I'd provide Zorin with a copy of the files, so everyone can use the themes. By the way, is the Zorin Desktop specific to Zorin OS, or is it a desktop that can be implemented on other Linux versions, similar to installing Mint, followed by adding any of several other available Desktop Environments? Knowing this would help determine limitations or potential compatibility issues in advance.
Any assist here would be appreciated. Thanks.

Anonymous

Tue Sep 01, 2015 4:54:42 pm

WinRiddance2

Tue Sep 01, 2015 5:05:48 pm

Thanks a bunch. It's a really cool theme as far as purple goes, but I forgot to mention that she doesn't like so much darkness in her theme. That's why I'm trying to find a way to create some "middle-ground" themes which incorporate both light and dark, but with more emphasis on the lighter & medium colors. Does that mean all GTK3 themes can be used with Zorin 10 in the same way that Zorin themes apply themselves automatically to every installed app by default?

Wolfman

Tue Sep 01, 2015 5:54:04 pm

Hi,

see here:

http://www.noobslab.com/p/themes-icons.html

and for possible further questions:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2054

Swarfendor437

Tue Sep 01, 2015 8:50:33 pm

WinRiddance2

Wed Sep 02, 2015 10:29:18 am

Oh yeah ... I think she would really like that lavender theme. That's right up her alley. :D This prompts my earlier question though, does that mean all GTK3 themes are compatible with Zorin?

As far as this other page is concerned ... http://www.noobslab.com/2015/08/zorin-o ... e-for.html ... those themes all appear to be installed by default with Zorin 10 core. At the bottom there's a remark ending with ... "You can use Unity Tweak Tool, Gnome-tweak-tool or Ubuntu-Tweak to change icons/themes." leaving me wondering which of those would be best for someone who's been a pure computer user for 25+ years? Unity, Gnome, or Ubuntu, which of those would have the best or simplest point n click tweaks for someone who's not into a bunch of keyboard fiddling?

Once I rebuild my wife's system from scratch in the next week or so, I would like to present her with a finished theme as well as the location of something simple on her desktop that'll allow her to make additional changes easily. No brainer kind'a stuff (ugh, that sounds bad, we're both college educated). :oops:
Thanks.

Swarfendor437

Wed Sep 02, 2015 11:43:30 am

Hi, to the best of my knowledge, GTK 3 themes became the 'norm' Post Ubuntu 12.04. What you need to be aware of is what each of those terms means. GTK is, in simple terms, the 'GUI' or 'front-end' of applications so if you see any package in Synaptic with 'gtk' this is basically the 'front-end wrapper' for whatever individual app is.

Unity is a specific 'look' that was developed by Ubuntu - any 'Unity' look in Zorin is merely a 'Panel' located on the left-side of the screen. 'Unity' was given because when you do a search in Ubuntu it looks everywhere based on the term you put in the search box - your files, the web, ... etc - the bad side of unity? Well if ever you run Ubuntu, Unity has Amazon embedded in it which records all your searches - Zorin does not do that but there are other Privacy issues that you need to be aware of and disable as you see fit as they are automatically launched.

Gnome is a Desktop Environment, Konqueror (K DE known as KDE) is another, as is XFCE as is LXDE as is Cairo-Dock DE.

Ubuntu is an Operating System based on Debian.

Remember GNU/Linux is not Windows and vice-versa. What Zorin have tried to do is to make a simple straight-forward distribution that makes transition from Windows to GNU/Linux as easy as possible and try to include the basics of what someone is ever likely to need.

Any distribution is constricted by the sum of its parts which belong to individual projects that form the 'whole' - a lot of which is developed by very clever individuals who can write scripts. So the Avant Window Navigator for instance was an abandoned project but someone else has taken it up. GnoMenu is what ZorinMenu is based on - it is a 'dead' project as such as the lead developer just walked from the project - that is all I know.