This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

What's so bad about Ubuntu?

mdiemer

Thu Oct 22, 2015 12:37:01 am

I'm curious: Why do so many here not like Ubuntu? I have been spending time on my new 14.04 partition over the past week, and I really like it. I still like Zorin better, but I can't undersatnd why it seems to have a bad reputation here.

Swarfendor437

Thu Oct 22, 2015 11:49:10 am

Can't speak for others - Amazon spyware in Lenses. Does that make things clearer? (Pun intended!) ;) :D

mdiemer

Thu Oct 22, 2015 8:35:35 pm

You mean Amazon is spying on me because I have the app on my desktop?

Swarfendor437

Thu Oct 22, 2015 8:49:17 pm

It's part of the system and it builds a marketing profile on you based on what you put in that cute little search bar.

mdiemer

Fri Oct 23, 2015 2:54:49 am

Thank you for that info, Swarf. I really only have been playing on it. This is my home. I may check out another GNU/Linux system, just for fun, but I'll always come back to Zorin. It's just awesome. BTW, do you have any suggestions for one I could put on an old Windows 98 machine? It has a whopping 96MB of ram, and two hard drives, a 5 gigger and a massive 20 GB auxiliary drive, which is where I would install the GNU/Linux OS. It's never been online, so the Windows was never updated. I've heard there are Linux systems that work well on older machines. Just something to do.

Wulffpack

Fri Oct 23, 2015 2:26:05 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:Can't speak for others - Amazon spyware in Lenses.

I read on some blog that Ubuntu added an option to turn off the amazon spyware.

Wulffpack

Fri Oct 23, 2015 2:56:32 pm

mdiemer wrote:96MB of ram, and two hard drives, a 5 gigger and a massive 20 GB auxiliary drive, which is where I would install the GNU/Linux OS. It's never been online, so the Windows was never updated. I've heard there are Linux systems that work well on older machines. Just something to do.

I'm not a linux expert, but I do my research.

Not trying to but in on any conversation, but the first thing I thought of when I read that was TinyCore Linux. Also the you could try the linux versions that have LXDE or xfce, but will you will need to use swap, or virtual memory.

mdiemer

Fri Oct 23, 2015 4:00:51 pm

Thanks Wulffpack. I'll keep that in mind. So, we have a Wolfman and a Wullfpack. Just in time for Halloween...

Swarfendor437

Fri Oct 23, 2015 11:53:00 pm

If you want a 'bare bones' Linux to play with then there is '4MLinux' and 'Slitaz':

http://4mlinux.com/index.php?page=home

http://www.slitaz.org/en/

mdiemer

Sat Oct 24, 2015 10:28:07 pm

Thanks for the suggestions. As for Ubuntu, I will probably get rid of it. That kind of stuff (tracking preferences) is one of the reasons I ditched M$. I will probably put a music-oriented OS on it, like AV Linux. I've been wanting to fool around with Linux audio for awhile. I need to prepare for the day when Windows 7 is EOL.

Swarfendor437

Mon Oct 26, 2015 10:35:06 am

Well you've got 5 years to play around! ;) :D