This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Sorry zorin... and when is zorin 12?

aberts10

Tue Apr 19, 2016 12:31:02 am

Sorry guys, but I'm jumping train and going to arch. I absolutely love the OS, but I've had too many issues (some of them not the OS fault, ... Darn Ubuntu and its repeat keypress in certain games)

I've found a distro of arch that has been gaining headway in the past few months its new but so far it seems stable and responsive, called Apricity cinnamon edition.

though I will certainly hang around for the mystical Zorin 12 release... Anyone know when that is coming? i will definitely have to get a copy of that somewhere, perhaps triple boot or vb.

Swarfendor437

Tue Apr 19, 2016 11:31:15 am

Hi, I took a look at apricity - think it was still beta and it had quite a number of issues, not least of which was poor assistive technology - present but not working! I'll take a look now it is in final release to see if they have smoothed out issues - remember - looks aren't everything! ;) :D

I suspect Zorin 12 will be out in Summer - can't be more specific than that - Zorin 6 was based on Ubuntu 12.04 - release was in Summer of 2012 - so I guess 16.04 will be forked to Zorin 12 around the same time as 6 was - depends how many bugs need ironing out. ;) :D

Nearly forgot - I did do a tutorial on Cinammon on Zorin!

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=9795#p48996

and how it looks with specific themes installed:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=9795&start=10#p48998

;) :D

aberts10

Tue Apr 19, 2016 2:37:52 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:Hi, I took a look at apricity - think it was still beta and it had quite a number of issues, not least of which was poor assistive technology - present but not working! I'll take a look now it is in final release to see if they have smoothed out issues - remember - looks aren't everything! ;) :D

I suspect Zorin 12 will be out in Summer - can't be more specific than that - Zorin 6 was based on Ubuntu 12.04 - release was in Summer of 2012 - so I guess 16.04 will be forked to Zorin 12 around the same time as 6 was - depends how many bugs need ironing out. ;) :D

Okay, worst mistake to go with apricity, first off, it is really buggy, sure... it does have updates every 5 minutes that fix bugs, but it also brings in new ones... second, arch is nothing but a pain in the a**... it deleted my whole windows and zorin installation when i only told it to install to one partition... and steam will not work on it, and the solution in the wikis is about 15 commands, and a few config changes (its also not officially supported like in ubuntu) but after doing them it turned out to be another issue, whereas in ubuntu you can go into the driver center, check for drivers, boom done.

I will definitely be going back to ubuntu based os... i really want to go back to Zorin, but i also really need maximum stability, so im either going for kubuntu, linux mint, or (not really ubuntu, but it has some of the same management tools like it) manjaro... And i will be leaving a 500 gb parition to install zorin later :)

aberts10

Tue Apr 19, 2016 2:39:54 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:Hi, I took a look at apricity - think it was still beta and it had quite a number of issues, not least of which was poor assistive technology - present but not working! I'll take a look now it is in final release to see if they have smoothed out issues - remember - looks aren't everything! ;) :D

Though i do quite love that terminal that appricity has and the pushbullet, know any way to get that on ubuntu? someone said that there is no pushbullet repository to install it. :/ also nice getting cinnamon running, though i think that the design of zorin is unqiue, and if you change how it looks it just makes it eh, or makes it so it doesn't even look like zorin... just some form of ubuntu with the zorin name stamped into the control panel.

Swarfendor437

Tue Apr 19, 2016 9:48:23 pm

aberts10 wrote:

Though i do quite love that terminal that appricity has and the pushbullet, know any way to get that on ubuntu? someone said that there is no pushbullet repository to install it. :/ also nice getting cinnamon running, though i think that the design of zorin is unqiue, and if you change how it looks it just makes it eh, or makes it so it doesn't even look like zorin... just some form of ubuntu with the zorin name stamped into the control panel.

Well in respect of the terminal - have you seen the wide number of different terminal applications in 'Software Centre/er'? Also with regard to pushbullet:

http://itsfoss.com/pushbullet-indicator-ubuntu/ (ubuntu 14.04 = Zorin 9)

and this:

http://phandroid.com/2014/11/21/pushbul ... -download/

Maerskian

Sat Apr 23, 2016 11:56:46 pm

aberts10 wrote:

Swarfendor437 already answered ... but i'd just like to add that i use Zorin OS9 as my main OS ( jumping to Zorin OS12 as soon as it's out :D ) but also love using different terminals, file managers , docks, etc...

Installed Deepin Terminal ( translucid looking :D ) and Thunar file manager for a change... and quite happy with both; i just alternate between 'em .

aberts10

Tue Jun 07, 2016 4:25:25 am

Maerskian wrote:
aberts10 wrote:

Swarfendor437 already answered ... but i'd just like to add that i use Zorin OS9 as my main OS ( jumping to Zorin OS12 as soon as it's out :D ) but also love using different terminals, file managers , docks, etc...

Installed Deepin Terminal ( translucid looking :D ) and Thunar file manager for a change... and quite happy with both; i just alternate between 'em .

Going to run zorin 9 in virtual box when I get the chance, to see if it's worth changing from mint to, an nd see if some of the bugs in 11 where patched... for some reason mint has been having hiccups that didn't happen before... and I miss zorin gui, and can't quite replicate it in mint. also have they even started work on 12? How much of a change are they going to do? It's been quite some time, I thought it would just be some bug fixes and lts?

Swarfendor437

Tue Jun 07, 2016 12:06:37 pm

At this point it can only be speculation as to when 12 is out but I suspect they will be polishing up 11 as potential base in terms of 'theming' but when you consider that Ubuntu 16.04 breaks at point of running firefox in live mode it may take some time!

With regards transparency of the Terminal - you can always tweak this yourself in the Profile settings/Preferences. ;) :D