This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Another Ressurrection: Prowler upp'ed to GTK3

Aravisian

Wed Nov 27, 2019 10:46:01 am

https://www.pling.com/p/1339879/

Use for Gnome desktop or for XFCE4 desktop. Works for gtk3.22/3.24 maybe higher. Works for XFWM4 4.12 or 4.14. Includes Gnome Shell, poorly made by me. Strictly an amateur operation.
Includes hard to find Prowler Cursor since all the gtk2 themers went into hiding.

Can be used on Cinnamon (Though, I have not made the Cinnamon panel theme, yet) Desktop, Budgie desktop, Marlin, Gnome, Mate...

star treker

Wed Nov 27, 2019 6:15:53 pm

Well, I like the Azenis theme over the Prowler theme. But I guess if your job is being a prowler in the night, you might like the Prowler theme. HEHE.

I gotta say, your themes are miles ahead of the simplistic ugly look of Zorin OS, so thanks buddy. Hey question? I looked at one of your Azenis screenshots, and the Zorin logo at what I call the start menu is not a Z. How did you change the look of the bottom start menu panel?

Aravisian

Wed Nov 27, 2019 6:35:03 pm

star treker wrote:Well, I like the Azenis theme over the Prowler theme.

Same. Though, I will admit if you use the Prowler theme for a while, it grows on you.
I learned this while building and testing it.

star treker wrote:I gotta say, your themes are miles ahead of the simplistic ugly look of Zorin OS

LOL I hope the Zorins don't see that.
star treker wrote:Hey question? I looked at one of your Azenis screenshots, and the Zorin logo at what I call the start menu is not a Z. How did you change the look of the bottom start menu panel?

That is a good Question... Screenshots:
appmenu.png

Modified WhiskerMenu version 1.5.1. I put a package hold on it to prevent if from updating with system updates.
Background Menu Image is run with a Python script.
Right Clicking the WhiskerMenu allows you to change the Menu Panel Icon. I used the one you see.

I am not using the default Zorin Menu.

star treker

Wed Nov 27, 2019 10:48:18 pm

This is what I currently have...
Screenshot from 2019-11-27 14-40-13.jpg

star treker

Wed Nov 27, 2019 11:53:59 pm

And because of the amazing Aravisian, but panel now looks like this!
Screenshot from 2019-11-27 15-45-13.jpg

Aravisian

Wed Nov 27, 2019 11:57:33 pm

star treker wrote:And because of the amazing Aravisian, but panel now looks like this!
Screenshot from 2019-11-27 15-45-13.jpg

It worked?!
Ok, that was unexpected. Let me try again...

star treker

Thu Nov 28, 2019 1:47:28 am

Yes, its technically working now, but as you can see, the Z is grey instead of the blue that I had before.The theme that I was using was black and blue. But changes to the panel have made it grey, and I have no idea how to change it, using the Zorin theme color changer just breaks the whole thing.

Also, the changes to the panel have also effected the menu text and sizes. I used to know where to go to make changes to the panel menu, but since the update to 12.4, Zorin got rid of it and I have no idea where to go to find the setting menu, to change the panel menu stuff. I used to be able to right click on the Z and be able to select settings to do it, but again Zorin got rid of that, and all right click does is act like the left click. So confusing now days.

And yes, I would love to have the Z changed to the A but that aint gonna happen it seems. I feel like I just wasted my time screwing around with updating the icons. I really doubt the 22 sizes and bellow are the ones, which is why I didn't bother even touching those. I am left completely confused by all of it. I feel like I got as far as I am going to get and thats it.

Aravisian

Thu Nov 28, 2019 2:52:09 am

star treker wrote:Yes, its technically working now, but as you can see, the Z is grey instead of the blue that I had before.The theme that I was using was black and blue. But changes to the panel have made it grey, and I have no idea how to change it, using the Zorin theme color changer just breaks the whole thing.

Also, the changes to the panel have also effected the menu text and sizes. I used to know where to go to make changes to the panel menu, but since the update to 12.4, Zorin got rid of it and I have no idea where to go to find the setting menu, to change the panel menu stuff. I used to be able to right click on the Z and be able to select settings to do it, but again Zorin got rid of that, and all right click does is act like the left click. So confusing now days.

And yes, I would love to have the Z changed to the A but that aint gonna happen it seems. I feel like I just wasted my time screwing around with updating the icons. I really doubt the 22 sizes and bellow are the ones, which is why I didn't bother even touching those. I am left completely confused by all of it. I feel like I got as far as I am going to get and thats it.

I understand that feeling. That's often how learning feels, especially when you start looking into something new.
I cannot vouch for changes to Zorin OS, but I CAN examine the Gnome-shell theme that I sent you. Let me do that and if you are willing to help with testing and screenshot replies, it will help improve the theme.
Wasted time changing things- I have done that a lot!

Sidenote: Zorin did not change the panel, Gnome changes these things. That is part of the Gnome Desktop Environment.

Swarfendor437

Thu Nov 28, 2019 1:12:13 pm

Actually that panel looks spiffing! Reminiscent of the AWN Panel - except the left end is -/ on AWN it was the reflection of the right end -\. I was surprised to learn when playing with Makulu that AWN is (or was - talking 12 months ago now) still available in the Debian repos! :o :shock:

Also worth remembering, always best to setup a 'Test' user account if you don't want your existing user account screwed. So new .themes should only installed for single user as detailed here:

https://www.addictivetips.com/ubuntu-li ... gtk-theme/

Swarfendor437

Thu Nov 28, 2019 9:19:11 pm

Here are my Prowler EX screenshots - I particularly like the wallpaper - reminiscent of Zorin 7 Wallpaper! :D

ProwlerEX.jpg

ProwlerEX2.jpg

My only issue is that I don't know if I should have a new cursor as none are listed other than the default ones and when browsing home folder to upload the files above the individual folders on the left pane list are white on bright grey background which is at bit painful to the old peepers but other than that, looking very cool! ;) :D

Setup a Tester account and this is on Zorin 15 Core. :D

Aravisian

Thu Nov 28, 2019 9:32:22 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:My only issue is that I don't know if I should have a new cursor as none are listed other than the default ones and when browsing home folder to upload the files above the individual folders on the left pane list are white on bright grey background which is at bit painful to the old peepers but other than that, looking very cool! ;)

The Cursor is Prowler.tar.gz in the package. It gets extracted into icons folder.
I am seeing that white on gray background... Let me see if I can possible do anything about that. Trouble is, it's using two very different tone backgrounds so setting the text is not easy...
I can change the text color for the sidebar easily enough, though.

Swarfendor437

Thu Nov 28, 2019 9:35:12 pm

Just spotted another issue for me - the active tab in Firefox is white font on bright grey background - other tabs are black and no text showing until I go over them:

FirefoxProwlerEX.jpg

Aravisian

Thu Nov 28, 2019 9:45:12 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:Just spotted another issue for me - the active tab in Firefox is white font on bright grey background - other tabs are black and no text showing until I go over them:

FirefoxProwlerEX.jpg

I cannot change that one. But you can change your firefox theme.
The white font is necessary for the black background in active view. Your FF theme, however, is a white tab for active view, unlike everything else in Prowler.
I could make you a FF Prowler theme, if ya want :P

Swarfendor437

Thu Nov 28, 2019 10:04:57 pm

Oooooh! I've come over all funny! :mrgreen:

Swarfendor437

Thu Nov 28, 2019 10:11:49 pm

I think I've found a suitable theme: Blue Neon Theme by Pixel Reaper for Firefox:

Blue Neon Theme Firefox.jpg

Close button in picture - appears to be slightly off to the right ("beyond" firefox window frame).

Yet if I click on the submitted picture and enlarge it looks fine. (Reminiscent of trying to take a picture of something not showing up but does in capture!)

Swarfendor437

Thu Nov 28, 2019 10:21:28 pm

Power Button slightly off Menu:

Power Off button not quite on Menu.jpg

Aravisian

Thu Nov 28, 2019 10:25:58 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:Power Button slightly off Menu:

Power Off button not quite on Menu.jpg

Yeah... That's uhh... Cuz it's you know, Power OFF...
It's Off menu :D

Mine is not doing that. I will take a look and see what I can see.

Aravisian

Thu Nov 28, 2019 11:01:58 pm

Repaired White text on light background in Nautilus.
Cannot replicate button sitting half off menu, so I must wait on that until I can get it replicated on another machine.
Repaired text for Gnome-Tweaks and other windows. New Download available at the Pling.com site.
https://www.pling.com/p/1339879/
Swarfendor437 wrote:I think I've found a suitable theme: Blue Neon Theme by Pixel Reaper for Firefox:

Blue Neon Theme Firefox.jpg

Close button in picture - appears to be slightly off to the right ("beyond" firefox window frame).

Yet if I click on the submitted picture and enlarge it looks fine. (Reminiscent of trying to take a picture of something not showing up but does in capture!)

This is an issue of two: In current gtk3, full windows use no window decoration.
Monitor resolution settings may combine with that effect to enhance what you observe.

Since usually, it is best to not have Browser windows in Full Screen, it shouldn't be an issue. However, you are right- many people go full screen (Showing off their resolution to the world) with their browsers.

star treker

Thu Nov 28, 2019 11:29:17 pm

Way before I ever met Aravisian on here, and way before I installed a Azenis theme from the amazing Aravisian, I had already custom installed an Azenis curser that I got 3-years ago for Zorin OS. It looks like a rocket ship, and it animates its thruster drive when you hover over a link, its pretty fancy. Then I used Deconf to increase the size of the curser. Cause when your displaying your computer on a TV, everything is way too small and needs increased like text and stuff. So I just razed the sise of the curser to 60 points I believe is what it was after I installed the curser.

https://www.gnome-look.org/p/999980/

Aravisian

Thu Nov 28, 2019 11:32:08 pm

star treker wrote:Way before I ever met Aravisian on here, and way before I installed a Azenis theme from the amazing Aravisian, I had already custom installed an Azenis curser that I got 3-years ago for Zorin OS. It looks like a rocket ship, and it animates its thruster drive when you hover over a link, its pretty fancy. Then I used Deconf to increase the size of the curser. Cause when your displaying your computer on a TV, everything is way too small and needs increased like text and stuff. So I just razed the sise of the curser to 60 points I believe is what it was after I installed the curser.

For some, increasing the Cursor size in settings will not actually increase the cursor size.
For that:
https://www.gnome-look.org/p/999759/

https://www.pling.com/p/999588/

Aravisian

Sun Dec 01, 2019 3:55:13 pm

Another Resurrection: Copperdeck upped.
Still working out the bugs in the gtk3.

Going with XFWM, for now.
https://www.pling.com/p/1340754/

Swarfendor437

Sun Dec 01, 2019 4:23:19 pm

Each to their own I guess - you have to understand where I am coming from on this. The education establishment where I work had outsourced its IT Department to an outside company and guess what their lovely colour schem was? An Orange background with a brown panel! Which reminded me of this (Replace the green vomit for diced carrots colour!):

poovomit.jpeg
poovomit.jpeg (35.65 KiB)

Aravisian

Sun Dec 01, 2019 4:48:58 pm

LMAO I am not offended. It's a very... uh... "In yo face" theme. I actually hated it when I first saw it. But my goal is Practice, practice, practice. Unlike Azenis and Prowler, I have this one working Much more smoothly, over all.
I will take what I have learned and try to apply it to the others.

Swarfendor437

Sun Dec 01, 2019 4:55:42 pm

Perhaps a nice 'purple' theme? ;)

Aravisian

Sun Dec 01, 2019 4:58:35 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:Perhaps a nice 'purple' theme? ;)

Do you have a GTK2 theme in mind?

star treker

Sun Dec 01, 2019 5:00:25 pm

First thing you learn about Aravisian, is that there is nothing that he can't do. When he puts his mind to something, he will achieve it. He's someone you can depend on to make things right, thats how awesome he is. OK, I am done being mooshy now LOL! :D

Aravisian

Sun Dec 01, 2019 5:04:13 pm

I have two other themes that are all Original.

One is a Mechanic and Tooling- shop/garage theme. Another is Steampunk.
But I have not shown them to anyone yet.

star treker

Sun Dec 01, 2019 8:10:29 pm

Well then you need to show them to me please, especially since I am a mechanic, and I would like to see what you got for the theme :)

Swarfendor437

Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:34:47 pm

I'd love to see all three - could you do a 'biker' theme too? I really liked steam punk theme for Netrunner! :D

Aravisian

Mon Dec 02, 2019 3:05:28 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:could you do a 'biker' theme too?

Biker: Lance Armstrong or the Blue Oyster?
Be specific.

Swarfendor437

Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:12:22 pm

This should answer your question:

Ogri_cartoon_frame.JPG

Aravisian

Wed Dec 04, 2019 2:44:47 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:This should answer your question:

Ogri_cartoon_frame.JPG

Gotcha- I have some preliminary ideas and sketches. I will see what I can come up with. I am no artist... Hopefully, it will be not too bad.
Funny, I have that same leather jacket.

Gnome: https://www.pling.com/p/1341269/

Swarfendor437

Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:22:52 pm

But have you got the helmet with the Red Bull wings! :D

star treker

Thu Dec 05, 2019 2:11:10 am

SWARF, you are hilarious! You realize what would happen if you downed a couple of jack danielles on that helmet? You would start speaking in ones and zero's, and nobody would know what you were even saying. Except Alexa from Amazon. She would say, now your speaking my language human. :D

Aravisian

Sun Dec 08, 2019 4:53:04 pm

I have Updated Prowler, Copperdeck and soon, will have an update for Azenis to include bottom borders on gtkbox windows even on Gnome (more or less).
New theme posted, too.

star treker

Mon Dec 09, 2019 9:37:16 pm

Aravisian, does these changes you are going to make impact my theme by any chance, since you did mention Azenis and all? If so, please keep me updated, and let me know what I need to do to make changes if required. Thanks!

Aravisian

Mon Dec 09, 2019 10:30:16 pm

star treker wrote:Aravisian, does these changes you are going to make impact my theme by any chance, since you did mention Azenis and all? If so, please keep me updated, and let me know what I need to do to make changes if required. Thanks!

No, it does not because you are working with GTK 3.18 and all of the themeing I am now working on is 3.20 and up.
Trust me, I would have let ya know. ;)

That being Said... I MAY be able to tweak yours in the same manner. Let me check.