This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

tar.gz Download & Install Question.

JeffK969

Sun Dec 08, 2019 1:59:15 am

Hello All,
So I capt a darts team in a league. To keep score I use a calc spreadsheet I altered from someone's excel program and hook up my laptop to a tv.. Works OK, but doesn't look that good. Aesthetically speaking. So I searched for free software and came across dartcalc-0.7.0.tar.gz (sourceforge). Says it works on linux. I downloaded and extracted. There is no configure folder for me to run ./configure. I'm not familiar with tar, and did a google search to follow to try to install. Anyone ever run into that issue? If so, is there a work-around? The program itself looks good, and should be much easier for everyone to help keep score during our matches. Any help would be appreciated.

Jeff

FYI - Adding screenshot of extracted folders 1 day after original post -
Screenshot_2019-12-08_11-26-30.png

Aravisian

Sun Dec 08, 2019 5:33:25 am

JeffK969 wrote:Hello All,
So I capt a darts team in a league. To keep score I use a calc spreadsheet I altered from someone's excel program and hook up my laptop to a tv.. Works OK, but doesn't look that good. Aesthetically speaking. So I searched for free software and came across dartcalc-0.7.0.tar.gz (sourceforge). Says it works on linux. I downloaded and extracted. There is no configure folder for me to run ./configure. I'm not familiar with tar, and did a google search to follow to try to install. Anyone ever run into that issue? If so, is there a work-around? The program itself looks good, and should be much easier for everyone to help keep score during our matches. Any help would be appreciated.

Jeff

One of the first things Swarfendor threw my way when I joined the forum was an alien.

Code:
sudo apt-get install alien

It is a cli, so to use, just type in terminal "sudo alien" plus the name of the tar.gz or bz or gizmo you want to convert. Because alien is a converter.
In this case
Code:
sudo alien dartcalc-0.7.0.tar.gz

This creates a .deb file in that folder:
dartcalc-0.7.0.deb
You can open that converted file with Gdebi package installer. I have never tried installing a converted .deb with the sudo dpkg -i command... No idea if it would work or not.
Gdebi will also help you sniff around for dependencies.

JeffK969

Sun Dec 08, 2019 4:43:57 pm

Install seemed to go good, but the second part not so much, I moved it to my desktop, do I have to add desktop somewhere in the string?

Screenshot_2019-12-08_11-36-16.png

JeffK969

Sun Dec 08, 2019 4:47:10 pm

Also see:
Screenshot_2019-12-08_11-40-45.png

Aravisian

Sun Dec 08, 2019 4:55:47 pm

erm...
When you convert using Alien, it places the converted file in the same folder that you ran the terminal from and that contains the original file you converted.

What you posted in images looks totally right except for the totally wrong failure.

JeffK969

Sun Dec 08, 2019 5:32:37 pm

OK, gave it another try. Started from scratch. I believe 1 issue was, the extracted folder was also in the desktop from previous extraction. I deleted that, and this happened.
Screenshot_2019-12-08_12-17-34.png

On my desktop was now: dartcalc_0.7.0-2_all.deb. So I ran that and got this:
Screenshot_2019-12-08_12-21-00.png

Rebooted. Now I can't find dartcalc in any search. Missing. So I'm thinking I need to do something else.

Swarfendor437

Sun Dec 08, 2019 5:34:43 pm

Hi, 'alien' is really for converting .rpm packages not tarballs (conversely 'worm' converts .deb packages to .rpm ones). The first place to start is the README file for instructions. ;)

JeffK969

Sun Dec 08, 2019 5:38:17 pm

Read Me has just how to run the program, rules. But I found this in install and now have added confusion....
What you need:
- the Qt Library, version 4 for your platform.
Qt is a product of Trolltech. You can download the Qt Free Edition at
www.trolltech.com (afain only the version for X11 is free)
- Linux users:
You can specify an external command for playing sounds.
Otherwise you need nas (Network Audio System), available at
http://radscan.com/nas.html.
If you want to use the built-in sound Qt has to be compiled with
sound option (configure option -system-nas-sound, which is not
standard)

Using the precompiled executable:
- dartcalc is compiled with version 4.1.2 of Qt on a Linux platform

Compiling the source:
- make yourself a new Makefile with "qmake dartcalc.pro -o Makefile" or
edit the existing Makefile for your system
- type make
- copy the resulting executable file "dartcalc" and the
"sounds" subdirectory to where ever you want it

Aravisian

Sun Dec 08, 2019 5:40:49 pm

Have you tried
Code:
dartcalc

in terminal?

JeffK969

Mon Dec 09, 2019 12:39:38 am

jeff@jeff-zlite:~/Desktop$ dartcalc
dartcalc: command not found

Aravisian

Mon Dec 09, 2019 4:25:08 pm

Ok, let me look up dartcalc and try installing it and see whether my machine catches fire...

EDIT:
I downloaded Dartcalc 0.7.0
It comes as an .exe file- for Windows. The description on the website says it is For Linux.
Yeah. And this is the only download I can find for it.

Swarfendor437

Mon Dec 09, 2019 9:34:14 pm

Having looked at the files that date back to ...

2007.jpeg

It will probably have lots of dependencies that are no longer available.

I'd plump for:

http://www.scoreboard4darts.com/#13in

JeffK969

Thu Dec 12, 2019 5:27:15 pm

Appreciate the tip Swarf... However, not all the places have wifi, so I need a calc based spreadsheet, or a non-web based package.

Aravisian

Thu Dec 12, 2019 5:35:00 pm

This one has a Linux Download:
http://www.dartssoftware.com/en/downloads

I am finding quite a few for Windows- you may need to Wine4 one.

JeffK969

Fri Dec 13, 2019 12:04:18 am

Yes, I looked at that one before too. Not too user friendly. Want to keep it simple, alcohol is involved...lol

Aravisian

Fri Dec 13, 2019 12:08:06 am

JeffK969 wrote:Yes, I looked at that one before too. Not too user friendly. Want to keep it simple, alcohol is involved...lol

Sadly, you are lacking in options, here. It seems not many Linux developers like throwing pointy things at walls.
You may end up needing to adjust your picky-levels.

Swarfendor437

Fri Dec 13, 2019 12:10:56 am

Perhaps it's time to upgrade the dartboard:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Viper-Electron ... B001EKS1T2

JeffK969

Fri Dec 13, 2019 1:44:49 am

Swarf, that's plastic tip. Real men don't play plastic tip... Wibbit wibbit...

I hear ya Aravi. That's why I posted the dartscalc. I've done a bit of searching, that was the one.
But, I'll just keep using the spreadsheet. It works...

Aravisian

Fri Dec 13, 2019 2:15:37 am

JeffK969 wrote:Swarf, that's plastic tip. Real men don't play plastic tip... Wibbit wibbit...

I hear ya Aravi. That's why I posted the dartscalc. I've done a bit of searching, that was the one.
But, I'll just keep using the spreadsheet. It works...

QT- Note the files themselves are .dll.
The Program is an .exe.
QT can be used to write apps FOR Windows even though Windows itself does not actively use QT.

I went ahead and downloaded it, again. This time, I used peazip to really tear it apart to its most base components hoping I could fathom WHY it is listed flor Linux and see if I could dredge anything useful out of it. No luck. This outdated puppy is 100% for Windows.
Sorry, Jeff, can't help with this one. Also, it is not a tar.gz download.

I tried searching for alternatives and I did find your posting on LinuxMint forums asking the same question.
Though I must admit the random thought: Drunk, alcohol, notebook- is that a bad combo?
There are Phone apps that offer the scorekeeper.
I checked out Darts19 (,deb file) and it installed well and works. Then, I got rid of it.
http://dartssoftware.com/en/downloads
I dunno... Picky sob...
Anyway, when I opened the Gdebi, it said "An older version is available in Software channel" but when I searched Software, i didn't find squat. Shrug.
I installed it using sudo dpkg -i because for reasons I am frustratingly unable to understand, Gdebi just crashes on 15 lite without doing anything to install. It has become a reference app instead of a package installer.
I'm kidna grumpy about that.

JeffK969

Sat Dec 21, 2019 4:36:43 pm

Thank You Aravisian for all your research and effort. Just another reason why I appreciate you, and Charlie Brown, umm, mean Radagast the Brown, Oh geez Swarf, Swarfendor437...
I lot of us would most likely not be here, or maybe on Linux even if not for the efforts of you both... Much Respect to you guys.

Aravisian

Sun Dec 22, 2019 5:57:47 am

JeffK969 wrote:Thank You Aravisian for all your research and effort. Just another reason why I appreciate you, and Charlie Brown, umm, mean Radagast the Brown, Oh geez Swarf, Swarfendor437...
I lot of us would most likely not be here, or maybe on Linux even if not for the efforts of you both... Much Respect to you guys.

If this is the response for when we say, "That won't work, can't help you" I wonder what you will say when we give you a great, easy to apply solution...

JeffK969

Sun Dec 22, 2019 4:04:01 pm

Well if and when we ever come across that I'll let you know....

LMAO, I'm such a jerk..haha I am literally laughing out loud at this moment. I have to wipe my eyes, blow my nose. This was a really good laugh for me.
It's like volleyball, you set me up for the spike and I scored...
The two of you are awesome. Do you honestly think someone else would do all that just to help someone else for no reason but to just be helpful?
You guys are so much a part of Zorin to me as the brothers. You're like their cousins. A part of the family. It may be the embarrassing part, but still family....lol

Aravisian

Sun Dec 22, 2019 7:37:49 pm

JeffK969 wrote:Well if and when we ever come across that I'll let you know....

The few times I have managed to help someone on here was by accident.

JeffK969

Mon Dec 23, 2019 3:25:49 am

I disagree... Nothing more needs to be said.