This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Azenis-One for gtk3 desktops

Aravisian

Mon Dec 16, 2019 6:30:46 pm

I sought out and was kindly granted permission from J. J. Ying to port the Original Azenis (Not Azenis2) to Linux.
This is the predecessor to the Azenis2 theme seen on Windowblinds and on Linux that won the GUI Championship.

I Like It.

Unlike JamesHardy and Ezy's port that used the Preface Icon set, I included an icon set more closely based on J. J. Yings Original Azenis Icons.

For Gnome:
https://www.pling.com/p/1344542/
For XFCE:
https://www.pling.com/p/1344535/
I did create a Metacity theme but I have not tested it. The full theme will not work currently on Mate or Cinnamon but the Metacity will. If anyone wants to test it.

Swarfendor437

Mon Dec 16, 2019 9:41:14 pm

Man, you are soooooooo coooooool! 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) :D :D :D :D :D

Aravisian

Mon Dec 16, 2019 9:52:32 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:<sarcasm>Man, you are soooooooo coooooool! 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) :D :D :D :D :D</sarcasm>

Fixed it for ya.

Swarfendor437

Mon Dec 16, 2019 10:02:01 pm

Ahem! I was NOT being sarcastic! I was being complimentary! When I AM sarcastic you will see this " :-> ". :P

Aravisian

Tue Dec 17, 2019 1:43:26 am

Swarfendor437 wrote:Ahem! I was NOT being sarcastic! I was being complimentary! When I AM sarcastic you will see this " :-> ". :P

But picking on you is so much fun :D

Swarfendor437

Tue Dec 17, 2019 9:11:33 pm

OK, you got me, my real name is ...

https://youtu.be/hEN_Ya687oc

:lol:

JeffK969

Sat Dec 21, 2019 4:23:48 pm

Charlie Brown....? I always envisioned you more like Radagast the Brown...

radagast-the-brown-2.jpg

Swarfendor437

Sun Dec 22, 2019 12:45:41 pm

JeffK969

Sun Dec 22, 2019 3:52:16 pm

I can see that too....lol

star treker

Tue Dec 31, 2019 8:11:36 am

Don't you love how the name Azenis One, sounds like what you would name a space ship? As usual, the amazing Aravisian kicks **** with awesome themes that actually make your desktop look good. Some people don't like the simplistic look of some OS's, we want eye candy, and lots of it. Yes, there were times when eye candy meant loss of RAM, and that was people's reasons against it. But most people have between 8 to 32 gigs now days, so RAM can no longer be used as an excuse for simplistic looking OS's lol. Great job buddy! :)

Aravisian

Tue Dec 31, 2019 9:55:12 am

star treker wrote:Yes, there were times when eye candy meant loss of RAM, and that was people's reasons against it. But most people have between 8 to 32 gigs now days, so RAM can no longer be used as an excuse for simplistic looking OS's lol. Great job buddy! :)

This is a really good point!
Honestly, on my machine I notice maybe a .1% (Yes POINT one) difference between using a simple and flat basic theme and an intense resource hog theme. And my machine aint that great. It was top of the line ten years ago, though.
star treker wrote:Some people don't like the simplistic look of some OS's, we want eye candy, and lots of it.

I remember reading a quote by someone. I cannot find it now, but this jist is that he calls anyone who likes themes "nubes." Obviously, he must speak to you in a derogatory way if you do not agree with HIS personal preferences, right?
He says something like, "My computer is my workbench. If I sometimes must spend as much as 12 hours a day on it, I want it to look simple and basic."
How far off can you be?
If I had to spend 12 hours a day at a computer, I would want it to look AMAZING. Something would have to make that enjoyable. It would need to do all sorts of things to keep me sane spending that much time on it.
What a "nube" that guy must be.

star treker

Tue Dec 31, 2019 2:16:58 pm

Yeehaa, very well said! :D

When you spend so many hours on a computer, you want it to look good. Yeah, I know, business's have computer's that always use the simplistic look, but thats the decision by the company to just not care. Their deal is, get the computer's setup with the required software, then get them on the network, then move on. A lot of people actually bring their own notebook computer's to work, probably mainly so that they can bring their work home with them at the end of the day. I don't know about you, but if I were working in a office cubacle all day, the last thing I would want to do is bring my work home with me lol.

But yeah, I am all for eye candy looking OS's. Back in the 90's when computers only had 512MB of RAM or less, and had 500MHZ CPU's or less, (Back when computer's were 32-bit and still had math co-processors onboard) an eye candy looking OS would bog the computer down. These days with quad core CPU's or better and 8GB of RAM or more, eye candy doesn't do jack squat on system resources. Keep up the good work on the theming buddy, I really like what you do.

Swarfendor437

Tue Dec 31, 2019 6:05:19 pm

One of my favourite themes on Netrunner was Steam Punk.

download/file.php?id=3398&mode=view

This was my desktop when I had Netrunner (think it was either 14 or 15 at the time and it also had 'live wallpaper' like Zorin OS Ultimate used to have up to 12 - no longer present in Zorin 15 and I can't get Oberemu to show anything other than it's own live walls. :(

Steampunk themes here: https://www.deviantart.com/yereverluvin ... -308695620

Aravisian

Fri Jan 10, 2020 4:41:45 pm

Pling/ Opencode,com has decided to employ the time honored practice of Cheating the People supporting their profits.

I have removed all uploaded Products from their site and will no longer upload products. Sorry, themes no longer will be available.

star treker

Fri Jan 10, 2020 5:04:20 pm

The problem with websites online, is that they don't follow the laws that govern brick and mortar companies. Normal companies have to sign contracts, and so do the people who do business with them. But with websites there are no contracts to sign, so nothing to keep them honest. You can't sue a company you didn't sign a contract with for fraud so ya. The internet was a nice idea and all, but its really a sesspool these days. Sorry that was the case with your situation, but its not really surprising to be honest with you.

Swarfendor437

Fri Jan 10, 2020 10:30:34 pm

I think I will close my account now - I have backups if they need to be uploaded. Thanks for the Heads up Aravisian. I might post some reduced files to Community Contributions on here in futuer. ;) :D .

You could try and see if your tar.gz theme files can be uploaded here. ;) :D

Aravisian

Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:17:32 am

Horsing around- Testing a Modified ZorinMenuLite (Arc menu) in a sorta Azenis style.
Anyone have any idea how I can change the Icon for the menu? The one showing up is TINY.

test-ZMLbg.png

star treker

Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:57:09 am

That is one sexy menu, gets me all excited HEHE. I am not sure how you make that icon larger though, have you tried threatening it to get larger otherwise you will disintegrate it? :P

Aravisian

Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:14:17 am

star treker wrote:That is one sexy menu, gets me all excited HEHE. I am not sure how you make that icon larger though, have you tried threatening it to get larger otherwise you will disintegrate it? :P

Yeah we already have confronted the ZorinMenuIcon in the past. Come to think of it... I recall something about that... barely... I seem to remember mentioning having finally found it.
Of course, now I cannot remember WHERE...

star treker

Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:26:11 am

Yes we have......

USR/SHARE/ICONS/ZORIN

You will recognize this section.

Aravisian

Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:38:24 am

star treker wrote:Yes we have......

USR/SHARE/ICONS/ZORIN

You will recognize this section.

Oh... no, that is not it. That was the FIRST place I looked.

EDIT:
I found it in Hicolor/symbolic/apps/

Changed it, but it did no good. The icon is different but still TINY. So never mind that til I figure out why...

test-zorinmenulite2.png

star treker

Wed Jan 15, 2020 6:17:27 pm

WOW, that sure is a strange one. I think that Zorin wants to keep their menu logo location and modification a total secret, because they make it so darn hard. When you make an OS, you have to always keep in mind about some people vision problems. And if they are operating their computer off of a 55" TV about 8 feet away, you obviously need to increase the size of stuff. They assume that everybody is viewing Zorin OS on a 4K 24" display sitting 1 foot away lol.

Aravisian

Wed Jan 15, 2020 6:31:39 pm

star treker wrote:WOW, that sure is a strange one. I think that Zorin wants to keep their menu logo location and modification a total secret, because they make it so darn hard. When you make an OS, you have to always keep in mind about some people vision problems. And if they are operating their computer off of a 55" TV about 8 feet away, you obviously need to increase the size of stuff. They assume that everybody is viewing Zorin OS on a 4K 24" display sitting 1 foot away lol.

I Think a glitch is at work. The zorinmenulite icon has never been unusually tiny before.
I tried changing the value using gtk inspector but after closing it out, the size reverted back. It was in gint, not sure why.

Aravisian

Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:51:34 am

Azenis style ZorinMenuLite. (Corrected an error that I forgot about...)

testAeznisZorinmenulite.png

(Yes, I am aware of the typo. I just don't care.)

testazeniszorinmenulite.png

EDIT: I fixed the stupid icons.
The ZorinMenuLite button icon remains a mysterious problem, though...

testzorinmenuazenis.png

Azenis style WhiskerMenu (1.5)

WhiskerAzenis.png

star treker

Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:09:37 pm

Thats really pretty, I love the colors. Are the square corners of the Whisker menu modifiable? It would be nice if they were rounded.

Maybe Zorin can shed some light on the strange issue with the Zorin menu icon size?

Aravisian

Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:25:34 pm

star treker wrote:Thats really pretty, I love the colors. Are the square corners of the Whisker menu modifiable? It would be nice if they were rounded.

Without writing it in Cairo and jumping through some other hoops: No.
Making the background darker and background color lighter may create the Illusion of less obvious squareness.
Another possibility would be to make the menus use the Window manager. But that has its own problems.
star treker wrote:Maybe Zorin can shed some light on the strange issue with the Zorin menu icon size?

I'm gonna ask... I think I have put enough into this board that he could manage to look over a trivial problem.

Swarfendor437

Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:06:17 am

That wallpaper almost looks like hand-stitched leather round the Opal. Nice! :D

Aravisian

Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:40:58 am

Swarfendor437 wrote:That wallpaper almost looks like hand-stitched leather round the Opal. Nice! :D

That is actually a shameless bit of Gimp, sorry.
What you are pointing at is part of K-Tek theme by Tiggz that I remounted on a different background.

Aravisian

Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:13:28 am

Return to Opencode / Pling:
Pling has "made right" at least for now. Tentatively, i will be returning to publishing products for download.
However... this will include a variety of Updates to various themes.
I JUST learned of gtk-nocsd, which I posted a link to for others. I will be creating modifications to all the themes to adapt them to gtk-nocsd, as well as making available themed gtk3 only.

Swarfendor437

Sun Jan 19, 2020 4:17:57 pm

I think I am going to not return to Pling - even the name! Eugh! They made it far too hard to upload stuff the correct way - seems simple but took me ages when they made the changes which led to me missing off thumbnails etc. ;)

Aravisian

Sun Jan 19, 2020 8:14:13 pm

If it wasn't' for the XFCE 4.16 changes, I wouldn't. I would have held out until some more policy changes were implemented at least.
But switching XFCE to CSD and removing the XFWM requires resistance.

Aravisian

Sat Jan 25, 2020 8:28:35 pm

Whiskermenu in Azenis theme- final product

WhiskerAzenisFinal1.png

WhiskerAzenisFinal2.png

star treker

Sat Jan 25, 2020 10:54:32 pm

OMG, I so want that! Its so sexy and awesome! :D

Aravisian

Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:22:31 am

Aravisian wrote:
star treker wrote:WOW, that sure is a strange one. I think that Zorin wants to keep their menu logo location and modification a total secret, because they make it so darn hard. When you make an OS, you have to always keep in mind about some people vision problems. And if they are operating their computer off of a 55" TV about 8 feet away, you obviously need to increase the size of stuff. They assume that everybody is viewing Zorin OS on a 4K 24" display sitting 1 foot away lol.

I Think a glitch is at work. The zorinmenulite icon has never been unusually tiny before.
I tried changing the value using gtk inspector but after closing it out, the size reverted back. It was in gint, not sure why.

It took an embarrassingly long time for the cause of this problem to become apparent, but it literally Just Popped Into My Head right now.
I am using xfce4.12 which is using gtk2.
Zorinmenulite (current version) is for gtk3. That is why the icon appears tiny and weird. It is because the gtk3 application is being run on a gtk2 application.

sigh

DUH.

I just removed the menu and installed the Xenial package and it is doing the same thing with the menu icon. And is using gtk3.
I have no idea why- I would think there would be a gtk2 version since XFCE only very recently went to 4.14 gtk3.

Aravisian

Tue Jan 28, 2020 6:42:52 pm

Whiskermenu Azenis theme in GTK3, now done.

AzenisWhiskermenugtk3.png

Swarfendor437

Tue Jan 28, 2020 8:29:37 pm

Aravisian wrote:Whiskermenu Azenis theme in GTK3, now done.

AzenisWhiskermenugtk3.png

https://media1.giphy.com/media/69qBJx1z ... =giphy.gif

Aravisian

Wed Jan 29, 2020 8:45:00 pm

Themed the panel and button.
This is the button when inactive

azeniwhisker1.png

This is what it looks like when you hover over it.

azeniwhisker2.png

And when it is active (Menu open):

azeniwhisker3.png

Swarfendor437

Wed Jan 29, 2020 8:55:06 pm

Mmmmmmmmmmm! I can smell the faux leather! 8-)

Aravisian

Wed Jan 29, 2020 10:04:20 pm

Wont do YOU any good, Swarf, (or you, StarTrekker) but I went ahead and risked uploading it:
https://www.pling.com/p/1355565/

star treker

Thu Jan 30, 2020 4:00:21 am

Aravisian wrote:Wont do YOU any good, Swarf, (or you, StarTrekker) but I went ahead and risked uploading it:
https://www.pling.com/p/1355565/

Yes, that is because I believe that is made for GTK3, which is great for people who have support for GTK3. But I have GTK2 so ya. It looks great though! :D

Aravisian

Wed Feb 05, 2020 5:48:03 am

star treker

Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:19:22 am

Very sexy, and you know I like sexy lol. I just low how the theme just flows with everything, especially that background behind the menu. I know that I am not able to use it, but I downloaded it anyways, to show my support. ;)

star treker

Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:20:05 am

Very sexy, and you know I like sexy lol. I just love how the theme just flows with everything, especially that background behind the menu. I know that I am not able to use it, but I downloaded it anyways, to show my support. ;)

Aravisian

Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:55:36 am

star treker wrote:Very sexy, and you know I like sexy lol. I just love how the theme just flows with everything, especially that background behind the menu. I know that I am not able to use it, but I downloaded it anyways, to show my support. ;)

I think you can use it, actually. To the best of my knowledge, the ZorinMenuLite uses gtk3 even if Zorin 12.4 Lite uses XFCE 4.12