This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Third attempt at KDE desktop ends in Dismal Failure

Aravisian

Sun Jan 05, 2020 4:07:03 pm

KDE... Why.

Within five minutes of using it, I felt like I was right back on Windows.
Nothing was where it should logically be, but was divided up and scattered all over the place.

I tried connecting to the internet so I could open a browser and look up what I clearly could not figure out on my own since KDE is so ridiculously counter-intuitive...
Nope.
Opening connections, I couldn't find anyplace to enter WEP password. I looked in all the network settings- it is nowhere.
I finally tried looking that up on my phone... And no hits made any sense or related to what I searched for much less answered. One post that SEEMED to be on target hinted that it was in the kwallet. What?! I went to the menu and selected kwallet... and waited. Nothing happened. Nothing opened.
Tried again- same result.
Removed the disk and smashed it.
Man, F**K KDE.

star treker

Sun Jan 05, 2020 4:20:19 pm

That business you had with KDE, reminded me of my first attempt trying to use Linux, back in the 2000's with Mandrake. Mandrake was not connected to the net, even though I was using straight ethernet wired connection. I tried to find where to get it connected in the OS, but I couldn't. I also couldn't figure out how to install software. I am not sure if the software center was a thing back in the 2000's, but even if it was, I had no crash course in Linux that would have let me know that, coming from being a Windows user.

Considering that I wasn't able to connect to the net, and that Mandrake was so different from Windows, I was intimidated like mad, I gave it up entirely. I did not try Linux again till like 3-years ago when I tried Zorin OS 9. Now at least with Zorin things just make sense. Already connected to my internet, no muss no fuss there. And I learned about installing software through the software center, Synaptic, or using PPA's in terminal.

If in modern times KDE is as bad as Mandrake from the 2000's, then KDE needs to be thrown in the discard bin, good job.

Aravisian

Sun Jan 05, 2020 4:31:12 pm

star treker wrote:That business you had with KDE, reminded me of my first attempt trying to use Linux, back in the 2000's with Mandrake. Mandrake was not connected to the net, even though I was using straight ethernet wired connection. I tried to find where to get it connected in the OS, but I couldn't. I also couldn't figure out how to install software. I am not sure if the software center was a thing back in the 2000's, but even if it was, I had no crash course in Linux that would have let me know that, coming from being a Windows user.

Considering that I wasn't able to connect to the net, and that Mandrake was so different from Windows, I was intimidated like mad, I gave it up entirely. I did not try Linux again till like 3-years ago when I tried Zorin OS 9. Now at least with Zorin things just make sense. Already connected to my internet, no muss no fuss there. And I learned about installing software through the software center, Synaptic, or using PPA's in terminal.

If in modern times KDE is as bad as Mandrake from the 2000's, then KDE needs to be thrown in the discard bin, good job.

It's a disappointment because I had such high hopes for QT.

Swarfendor437

Sun Jan 05, 2020 6:23:58 pm

And you thought Gnome was bad! :lol: KDE was OK (guessing here) until they moved to Plasma - man you need a degree to find your way around that. Netrunner was OK but that again could be troublesome to get to grips with, particularly the panel and it's own intricacies. Why you would want to use insecure WEP is another story but I suspect your hardware doesn't support WPA/2 - and a Technician at work had read some time ago that a brute force attack could occur on WPA/2.

Aravisian

Sun Jan 05, 2020 6:35:09 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:Why you would want to use insecure WEP is another story but I suspect your hardware doesn't support WPA/2

Brain misfire. I meant WPA... I was typing while altered by angries.
Swarfendor437 wrote:And you thought Gnome was bad!

Oh, I still do. Just for different reasons. I think KDE has Gnome beat on that front but fails utterly on others.
If you want to install a theme on Gnome, you extract what you downloaded to the themes folder.
If you want to install a theme on KDE, you need a windows installer and a Registry editor.

star treker

Sun Jan 05, 2020 6:49:23 pm

And guess what a windows user, who is a beginner to Linux, doesn't want to do?

Exactly!