This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

landscape image appearing on their side in Pictures folder!

Swarfendor437

Fri Jan 10, 2020 12:02:01 am

I don't know if this is down to me having installed Thunar and using it in preference over Nautilus, but some of my images in 'Pictures' folder of '/home' are rotated clockwise 90 degrees and this has been stopping me from uploading to pling.com as they get reported as incorrect format. :?

star treker

Fri Jan 10, 2020 12:29:59 am

Yes, this is something that has happened to me tons of times. For no apparent reason, the OS decides without my consent, to re-orient the pictures. Easy fix is to open the picture into GIMP, rotate the picture to correct orientation, then save the picture. Then upload to Pling.

Swarfendor437

Fri Jan 10, 2020 12:46:57 am

I was beginning to wonder if it was malware! :lol:
Thanks for informing me. I think I did do some changing of images but they still ended up vertical instead of horizontal - perhaps it is time for a reinstall.

https://giphy.com/gifs/sigh-parks-and-r ... Bsj8k/tile

Aravisian

Fri Jan 10, 2020 1:22:27 am

The image stores the rotation in its EXIFdata. Most applications will read this rotation and apply it. For some reason, Thunar doesn't.
https://forums.bunsenlabs.org/viewtopic.php?id=2692

EDIT: I submitted a question on this topic on XFCE forums
https://forum.xfce.org/viewtopic.php?pid=56021#p56021

Swarfendor437

Fri Jan 10, 2020 1:15:20 pm

Thanks tremendously for that Aravisian - I was unticking Exif data thinking it related to location of where photo taken! :oops: :lol:

Aravisian

Fri Jan 10, 2020 8:09:42 pm

Swarfendor437

Fri Jan 10, 2020 10:27:28 pm

mmm! Interesting comment about there unethical behaviour! When I downloaded that XP theme in answer to another thread from Deviant Art I was requested to join - perhaps I should move all my stuff to Deviant Art? ;)

Aravisian

Fri Jan 10, 2020 10:29:09 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:mmm! Interesting comment about there unethical behaviour! When I downloaded that XP theme in answer to another thread from Deviant Art I was requested to join - perhaps I should move all my stuff to Deviant Art? ;)

I already am looking into transferring all uploads to that site...

star treker

Sat Jan 11, 2020 1:46:46 pm

Deviant Art is a beautiful place of both color and expression. When I use that name in a search, I see so many lovely things. Unfortunately their name instills the feeling of a black market dungeon, but that is further from the truth. Considering how beautiful your themes are Aravisian, it seems fitting to me that your themes end up there. People will get to see that you can make an operating system look beautiful, just as much as a landscape painted on canvas. I just hope that Pling hasn't discouraged you from making works of art, because that is what you do IMO. :)

Aravisian

Sat Jan 11, 2020 3:10:15 pm

star treker wrote: I just hope that Pling hasn't discouraged you

In some ways, yes. But it also occurs to me that I can take some time off from it as it was a bit of added pressure, and use that time to test and find the errors in each one.
For example, Undershoot/overshoot.
Light text on Light background in Prowler, which I thought I fixed, but last night found that the apps menu is still doing it on SOME apps menus.
On the XFCEForum and here, I have had a few occasions that people using a theme (that I had not any hand in the creation or distribution of) that asked about troubles with it. They sent the theme to me and I sent it back with adjustments.

yshielynn

Sun Jan 19, 2020 3:01:11 am

star treker wrote:Deviant Art is a beautiful place of both color and expression. When I use that name in a search, I see so many lovely things. Unfortunately their name instills the feeling of a black market dungeon, but that is further from the truth. Considering how beautiful your themes are Aravisian, it seems fitting to me that your themes end up there. People will get to see that you can make an operating system look beautiful, just as much as a landscape painted on canvas. I just hope that Pling hasn't discouraged you from making works of art, because that is what you do IMO. :)

H i guys, you all using Deviant Art? What's your username? :)

New in the community btw. ;)

Aravisian

Sun Jan 19, 2020 12:23:22 pm

Aravisian, of course:P But I have, as yet, made no uploads there.

Swarfendor437

Sun Jan 19, 2020 4:15:56 pm

Not uploaded or created homepage but swarfendor437 is pretty universal - apart from PSN - someon nicked my moniker there add 010 at the end. ;)