This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Gnome to drop gtk Modules

Aravisian

Sun Jan 26, 2020 8:41:21 am

The short version is, Gnome is seeking to integrate all development under one Gnome Umbrella, which is aligned with Gnomes "Vision" but not aligned with FOSS. Of course.
This is perfectly typical of what Gnome has become- a Clone of Microsoft, seeking total control and domination and ensuring any independent developer must supply their product directly through Gnome by requiring developers to request that their software be included in the Gnome Toolkit.

There was a time .... when Linux Users would NEVER have stood for this. Not One Bit. The days of "lego-like" modular Linux are coming to an end.

I am honestly starting to wish I had never migrated from Windows to Linux. I got in at That Time when we have something and get to watch it get Taken Away.

At least if I had stayed with Microsoft, I wouldn't know what I was missing. And at Least Microsoft throws the user a Bone once in a while instead of just steadily giving them the shaft.

Gnome seriously needs to just Die.

star treker

Sun Jan 26, 2020 8:51:33 am

It would be nice of Zorin started using XFCE in all their distro's instead of Gnome. ;)

Aravisian

Sun Jan 26, 2020 8:55:32 am

star treker wrote:It would be nice of Zorin started using XFCE in all their distro's instead of Gnome. ;)

Well, it does offer it on Lite- but a pointless venture since XFCE is switching into a CSD-using Gnomish clone, too. I wonder why all this merging and integration is going on...
While Gnome behaves like Microsoft in end-user-treatment and philosophy, Gnome no longer behaves or looks anything like Microsoft in desktop environment.
Since Zorin O.S. is marketed as a method of helping migrants from Microsnot switch to Linux, it does seem like a different Desktop Environment like Mate, QT or XFCE (in its current version) might be better suited to that purpose.

Swarfendor437

Sun Jan 26, 2020 2:08:58 pm

An old article/thread, but it proves that Gnome Foundation just does not listen - 5 years down the line from when this was posted:

https://tech.slashdot.org/story/14/04/1 ... t-of-money

I may end up going to E (E-live) after all? Need to check if can change Reiser FS to Ext4 though. It may mean a change to Mate or Cinnamon DE (FerenOS). Or Devuan? :x :? :roll:

Also I was not aware they were being sued last year by NPE owned by Rothschilds:

https://www.zdnet.com/article/leave-gno ... r-trouble/

Aravisian

Sun Jan 26, 2020 7:35:41 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:I may end up going to E (E-live) after all?

Why E-live?
Swarfendor437 wrote:Also I was not aware they were being sued last year by NPE owned by Rothschilds

I remember reading about this last year. In all fairness, though, Rothschild was suit-happy. I think lawsuits was their primary source of income.

The first link you posted was an interesting read. I was not a part of the Linux crowd when Gnome3 first hit. In retrospect, having joined almost a decade later, I have often wondered what the reaction to it was. I see that it was as negative as I would expect.
But I am around now and what I have seen lately are a lot of articles that seem to really push the Gnome Philosophy as if strangled to do so.

Swarfendor437

Sun Jan 26, 2020 8:54:37 pm

E-Live because it is the only distribution that uses Enlightenment well without crashing. E = Enlightenment - Vector Linux that I paid for at version 6 had E17. Vector is in a state of flux at present and another distro that does not use systemd.

https://ungleich.ch/en-us/cms/blog/2019 ... t-systemd/

https://www.slant.co/topics/18348/~linu ... se-systemd

Aravisian

Mon Jan 27, 2020 10:05:36 am

Swarf, what do you think of the current version of Slack?

Swarfendor437

Mon Jan 27, 2020 1:05:54 pm

I've not looked at Slack for some time - one of the things that put me off was the 'DOS' type installer. And this was at a time you had to be careful that you did not use LILO for the bootloader in case it screwed up the mbr! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Aravisian

Mon Jan 27, 2020 1:12:07 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:I've not looked at Slack for some time - one of the things that put me off was the 'DOS' type installer. And this was at a time you had to be careful that you did not use LILO for the bootloader in case it screwed up the mbr! :lol: :lol: :lol:

After I asked, I downloaded the Current Live Version, burned it to disk and tried it out. I didn't get very far... Because I was unable to install ANYTHING on it. At all. No matter what I tried, it claimed "Command not found." It does not have any package manager included on the live version. It does not come with any of the pkginstall utils Slackware talks about. I searched for what terminal commands to use and there was a very long list supplied across multiple websites and when I tried any of them on the Live version:
"Command not found."
The last I saw of the disk, it was just rounding the hill and heading for the pond.

Swarfendor437

Mon Jan 27, 2020 1:21:49 pm