This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Hello There.

PirateMouse

Fri Sep 14, 2012 9:21:17 pm

Hi.

I've scanned the various forums and really am not sure where else to put this, so I figured "Off-Topic" couldn't hurt and if it needs to be moved around, then I will learn from that.

I recently downloaded and installed Zorin. I have to say, I am impressed by the way it is setup and works. Considering I am a novice to the Linux world, that probably isn't saying much. My last OS was using Pinguy OS and found it sluggish on my PC ( which is an old desktop I've had for a few years )
Anyway, I am slowly wanting to learn Linux ( having been friends with a Unix Admin for years and grown up on DOS / Windows - its time to learn something new - right )

I am just a simple computer user - play a few online games ( would love to try and get my SIMS game for Windows to work on here if possible ) - use Facebook, Twitter, Tumblr and Photobucket. I also use IMs ( MSN IM, Yahoo, Skype, AIM )

Anyway ... I am interested in learning how to do things in terminal. First questions I have are as follows :

1. I would like to figure out how to connect to my desktop when away from home ( say, via my laptop or another computer terminal ) What information would I need and how do I find it? ( I am behind a router )

2. I would like to setup terminal to have a login message ( Like when someone connects, it says "Welcome to .... Please sign in below" and maybe a login message for each user after they login. Is this possible and how do I go about doing so?

3. Going with #2 above, I would like to setup a few user accounts for friends to login and access the system, but restrict to certain areas and parts. How would I go about doing so?

Thank you again. I probably will have plenty of questions as I proceed in my studies. :)

PirateMouse

Sat Sep 15, 2012 8:28:14 pm

Thank you.

#1 - I will have to take some time with this one it seems. But I have the general understanding on what to do.

#2 and #3 - Hmm, didn't quite answer my question. Though I will keep the pages as they do offer some interesting and fun things to try with the prompt.
What I am looking for is .... Oh, I think I may have found what I am after ( I am looking while typing this up )

http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-774509.html - The 10th message down, the one posted by scorp123. That is what I was looking for.
As well as : http://www.phacai.com/customize-ssh-log ... -on-ubuntu for an after login message.

Thank you though, the sites you gave me do give me something to play around with.

I am not very good using vi - is there possibly another text editor that I could consider using? One that is a little easier to use, by any chance?

PirateMouse

Sun Sep 16, 2012 12:34:38 am

Thank you again. That works wonderfully. :)

Following http://www.cyberciti.biz/tips/change-op ... anner.html ... I tried creating the file as stated, but it says "No such file or directory"
It seems OpenSSH is installed and running. So I am quite a bit puzzled. ( I am new to all this, so I may be missing something obvious )

I tried testing it out by opening terminal and going doing an SSH to localhost ... this is what I get :

Code:
piratemouse@MouseHQ:~$ ssh localhost
piratemouse@localhost's password:
Welcome to Ubuntu 12.04.1 LTS (GNU/Linux 3.2.0-30-generic-pae i686)

* Documentation:  https://help.ubuntu.com/

Last login: Sat Sep 15 18:25:03 2012 from localhost
piratemouse@MouseHQ:~$

As you can see there is no welcome message logging into the SSH ( though, I guess since the file I tried to save didn't save, this is pretty obvious. ) and I would like to change the message that shows after logging in ( the whole "Welcome to Ubuntu 12.04", etc )

As stated, I followed the example in the above link, but can't seem to save the file. So either I am saving in the wrong area, or I need to do something different. I was logged in as root when creating / saving the file.

Any suggestions?

To add ( and hopefully make sense of my request - I found a free shell account service, and SSH'ed to it ... to see if it had what I was looking for .. as in the welcome message when you connected via SSH ... and it did )

if you ssh newuser@grex.org you'll get a better understanding. Although I am not looking for something quite that dramatic ( that much text / writing ) this is what I'd like to do when someone SSHs to my connection ( although, it may only be myself - in the event I do have someone connect to my computer, I'd like to have a welcoming message, so to speak )

PirateMouse

Sun Sep 16, 2012 6:42:35 pm

Thank you again.

I haven't figured out why it isn't saving the motd, but I did find my answer by going back to a previous page I was looking at.

Edit your /etc/ssh/sshd_config file, and uncomment the line:
#Banner /etc/issue.net

To read:
Banner /etc/issue.net

Then /etc/issue.net will be your "pre-login banner".

That right there did what I was looking for. A pre-login banner. If I can solve the issue of the banner ( after login ) not updating to what I put in, I'll be a happy camper. :) But at least I figured out how to do what I was looking to do. ( Just took a bit more reading into what I had in front of me all along )

When I SSH into my computer, I get the welcome message that I have been trying to solve ( That makes me happy ) but following the pages I was given to update the "after-login" message - I seem to continue to get the following :

Welcome to Ubuntu 12.04.1 LTS (GNU/Linux 3.2.0-30-generic-pae i686)

* Documentation: https://help.ubuntu.com/

0 packages can be updated.
0 updates are security updates.

Last login: Sun Sep 16 12:49:08 2012 from localhost

I am not sure where to look or what to edit to change that. Changing motd didn't seem to do anything. I have even restarted the ssh server, logged out, etc. Everytime I SSH back in, I get the same message regardless.