This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

What GNU/Linux stands for!

madvinegar

Fri Dec 28, 2012 4:56:10 pm

The introduction of this "spyware" was made in ubuntu 12.10. Zorin is based on ubuntu 12.04.

This "spyware" is the installation of Amazon results in the search engine of the dash. I suppose that it cannot be called as "spyware" because spyware means a program that gets information of you and uses it without you knowing it. On the contrary in ubuntu it is made clear that amazon will be using information of the user for various commercial reasons. I would prefer calling it "adware".
So ubuntu lets you know about that, and it also gives you the option to disable it.

However, when you disable it, you also disable in total any internet search/results you get. This is where I have my objection.

madvinegar

Fri Dec 28, 2012 7:12:25 pm

swarfendor437 wrote:6 is based on 12.04 true, but isn't 6.1 based on 12.10? I know there are no amazon connections but it is interesting that I cannot upload pictures with my FSF Abrowser based on Firefox! :D Adware is a bit like sponsored websites with annoying ads - spyware looks at what you do and points you to a vendor - so I would say Amazon is spyware not adware - but each to their own! :D

I think Mr Fry explains the concepts best of all in respect of Freedom - http://www.gnu.org/fry/ - one of my favourite videos of all time! :D

Zorin 6.1 is based on ubuntu 12.04.1. i.e. it is a 12.04 with the latest updates/more updated kernel.

I agree that spyware looks at what you do and points you to a vendor but without you knowing about it! Hense the word "spy".
As I said, in ubuntu you are made clearly aware of this thing and you can even stop it from happening. This is why I do not agree with the term "spyware".

In any case, I cannot forsee if this will be helpful or not. It may be bad as it kind of ruins the "free" ideology of linux but it also might be good as it will probably make linux more advertised and bring more users.
I really don't know.

Anonymous

Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:10:01 pm

You know what have made things crazier now if things were different way back then. Imagine Bill Gates and Steve Jobs teaming up instead of go their different ways.. What we see in the (Tech World ) today is a walk in the park compared the way things could have been. Thank Goodness for that!!!

Deacon

Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:47:56 pm

Weird. I was just educating myself on the GNU site just yesterday. I thought I understood the whole thing with GNU/Linux, and I realized there were gaping holes in my historical understanding (which are unfortunately perpetuated by the powers-that-be).

While I like Zorin OS a lot-- it is peaceful and happy-- I must admit Trisquel OS' site looked tempting. But I hate dual booting, VM's, and so I will admire it from afar. For now I need my flash and my broadcom drivers. However, as for the software center, I couldn't agree more about creating a branded one for Zorin.

Trisquel seems to have adopted a version based on PackageKit, which looks rather stable. http://www.packagekit.org/

I vote for using that one.

I think it's important that we definitely work towards keeping a great new OS as close as possible to the ideals of the FSF, but also do so practically so the end user isn't compromised.

In the words of Bruce Lee, we must "be water, my friend."
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGFf3SRP1bE