This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

No sound (OFF TOPIC/HARDWARE)

Levi88

Sun Apr 21, 2013 2:50:01 am

Hi guys, My tower recently lost the acknowledgement of the on-board sound. I dis connected a HDD and hooked up another (SIDE BY SIDE< DUAL SATA) to try another OS, and boom, my sound was gone. I tried another OS and it's still not seeing it. I checked my cables, but to no avail. Any reccomends my fine Linux friends?? Thanks in advance for any knowledge. :D

Wolfman

Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:59:27 am

Hi,

did you check BIOS, there should be a "Use Onboard Sound" switch in there somewhere, it might be off!!.

Assuming you have desktop speakers, is it plugged in to the light green socket??.

Regards Wolfman :)

Levi88

Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:26:12 am

swarfendor437 wrote:Did you 'earth' yourself before playing around inside the box?

Did you disconnect the powersupply cable to the motherboard before playing around in the box?

Check out this post:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=3810

I did neither. I only pulled the power from back. I didn't really get into the box though. The HDD case pulls out from the front when I remove 2 screws. I've been reading a lot, but am at a total loss so far. It's not a distro specific issue, it's all around. The OS's aren't even acknowledging that I have onboard sound. Bios settings are fine. I have front and rear audio jacks. The front ones plug into motherboard via a cable and the rear are built in 5.1 with a digital out. I had to swap HDD's to install Win XP to flash some firmware to a phone, and when I popped the other back in when I was finished, no sound. Did I short something out and fry the onboard?

Ok, update. Works now. I was finally reading over the one link you gave me and gave a command in terminal to kill all pulse audio. Worked. I was somewhat baffled about why it did this on different distros. Hmmmm Thanks for the links. A lot of reading, but solved my problem. My luck it was the last link I tried. LOL