This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Time to ditch Opera ...

Swarfendor437

Sun Nov 17, 2013 5:30:06 pm

Still playing with Windows 8.1 ... so I thought I would install Opera - and what do you know? I think they have finally sold out to the big guys!

In Opera 17.x:

1. You cannot delete current search engines.

2. You can add search engines but not make them default!

3. You cannot display the 'Main Menu' anymore!

4. You cannot get 'File | SaveAs' either!

I am now back to using Firefox - despite my reservations that it is funded by Google!

Keep smiling! :D

Wolfman

Mon Nov 18, 2013 8:16:39 am

Hi Swarf,

even Ubuntu have sold out to "The Man" with its Dash search tool thingy, especially for Amazon & Co :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I only use Opera as a last resort, there have always been too many hidden settings in there for my taste!.

I wouldn't worry about Google, it s the NSA; M.I.5 and BND (German Secret Service) & Co's of this world we should worry about!.

Regards Wolfman :D

Swarfendor437

Wed Nov 20, 2013 7:40:55 pm

Wolfman wrote:Hi Swarf,

even Ubuntu have sold out to "The Man" with its Dash search tool thingy, especially for Amazon & Co :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I only use Opera as a last resort, there have always been too many hidden settings in there for my taste!.

I wouldn't worry about Google, it s the NSA; M.I.5 and BND (German Secret Service) & Co's of this world we should worry about!.

Hmmmm! Wonder which search engines they use! :lol: :lol: :lol: :->

madvinegar

Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:15:05 pm

In ubuntu it's just a matter of switching lens off. Just a click.
I know it should not have been on by default but it is very easy to get rid of it.

Wolfman

Thu Nov 21, 2013 6:23:03 am

Hi MV,

I was interested in Unity for a short while after the death of Gnome 2, now they have more or less got their act together with Gnome 3, I have started using it, it takes some getting used to but when you learn what is what, it is quite easy really.

The only real problem is this "Tracker FS" app which is constantly searching for files for some reason, it can be a system resource hog so I have it disabled by default in startup.

It will be interesting to see what Zorin devs have in the way of Zorin 8; I do wish they would hurry though as Ubuntu 13.10 is only supported until July 2014 and we have Nov 2013 already!.

madvinegar

Thu Nov 21, 2013 7:31:13 am

Have you tried ubuntu 13.10...? It's faster than it should be. I though 13.04 was fast but 13.10 is super fast... :)

Wolfman

Thu Nov 21, 2013 7:43:21 am

Hi MV,

yes!, I have even gone as far as to making my own Gnome 3 remix using Ubuntu Gnome 13.10 as my base, Ubuntu Builder doesn't work fully though so it is not complete because Ubuntu Builder is not functioning correctly, I can do a version of my own but it is without the desktop settings I would like, all the software apps that I use work well though, I installed it on 2 PC's and it works just fine!.

http://helpdeskgeek.com/linux-tips/crea ... u-builder/

UBUNTU BUILDER IS FAULTY THOUGH AND NOT ALL THE FUNCTIONS WORK!!!!!. :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :(

Screenshot:
Workspace 1_001.jpg

Using Conky Manager, Zukitwo Cupertino theme and shell theme, Fiaence Azur icons, Docky and Chameleon mouse cursor set.

Swarfendor437

Fri Nov 22, 2013 12:43:12 pm

Niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiccccccccccccccccccccceeeeeeee! :D :D :D

I was going to post a tutorial (well links really) on 'build your own distro' as appeared in LXF recently. Is Amazon still hidden in there? If so I would not want to touch any Ubuntu (sic stallman.org) ! :mrgreen:

Wolfman

Mon Nov 25, 2013 7:44:02 am

Hi Swarf,

yes "Lenses" are still there but so easy to get rid of them:

http://www.webupd8.org/2013/10/how-to-d ... pping.html

Swarfendor437

Mon Nov 25, 2013 1:17:55 pm

Hi Wolfman, I didn't know 'Lenses' was amazon links - I just thought they were there as a desktop changer as in OzDiamond 64-bit - pity it did not like my non-intel machine! :D

Wolfman

Wed Nov 27, 2013 10:53:40 am

Hi Swarf,

you can also use Unity Tweak Tool to deactivate all the nonsense in Ubuntu Unity!.

Lenses isn't included in Gnome by default so we are safe there!.