This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Time for Everyone to Wake Up!

enkoo

Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:23:26 pm

Back in the day when I first tried Linux it was on Ubuntu. I had a horrid experience with it. I tried lots and lots of distros and none really cought my eye which led me to use Windows untill 2013. I've searched on Google(''such a surprise!'') for Windows like Linux OSes. No time to argue on why Windows can be dreadful most of the time but my point is that I have to switch sides and still await for Linux to stand up. Back when I saw Zorin I loved it(even though I was highly specptical) and instantly got it on my PC. Every issue that I had with Linux was practically gone, though there still remained 3 main problems which keeps Linux in general outta' reach for most end-time users: 1.Software support 2. Attention 3.Flow of Work. - I couldn't stand the lack of them so I once again ended just using Windows dual-booted with Zorin even today. Valve has finally risen to bring gaming and all the attention Linux needs. Hopefully it'll happen sooner than later. When it does I want distros like Zorin to be ready for the mass appliance.
When I first saw Zorin It was for one very friendly to a Windows user and two it reminded me of a futurastic OS. Now, by futurastic what I mean is both straight-forward looking, smart,badass, awesome and a ''most advanced OS in the world'' feel. There are bunch of disappointments though as Zorin isn't perfect. It doesn't give the option to have a 1:1 copy of the Windows 7 UI and it lacks a unique UI to distinguish it's self like any other *big* OS. One thing that really frustrates me is that you give several -packages- of your OS for a fee. That is good since it gives you choices, the bad - it gives a ''not so good'' representation to new consumers which every other OS apart from Windows are meant to be *FREE*. It has to be very simple. I do get that you need to fund your -projects- but you can do so by simply asking people to donate or help you directly. Be social. Most people today do not have the time to go onto forums in order to connect* with certian devs. Feedback and support should be much more easier, via sites like Twitter,Facebook heck even YouTube. I am well aware you have your own FB but you bearly post anything there. Once people start helping out you should update your software more frequently. You should do a complete overhaul on your website, it should look more appealing and less confusing. For Zorin OS 8 (which I expect to come late April - June 2014) you should focus on something more futurastic, something that people never have seen before and instantly would want to try out for themselves. To give you an idea:-------- It should also focus on bringing the ecosystem together, the OS should be user friendly for tablets, TVs, smartphones, laptops and desktops of course.
I hope ''Zorin'' in general isn't dead in the water and I know that Zorin OS could have the potential to be a great OS heck even ''The Most Advanced Operating System In the World''. You should really consider Valve, and the future for Linux. Since MS just shoot themselves time upon time. Please do not disappoint, myself and many others have faith in you! Looking forward to hear from you guys and gals, I hope I see an exciting 2014!

Swarfendor437

Wed Dec 18, 2013 11:21:41 pm

Well I was pleasantly surprised to see Zorin as one of the best OS's for Windows Users to migrate to - and that was in Linux Format Issue 178 - only beaten by Pinguy 13.04 (which I can't get to run and no disrespect to Pinguy but was surprised that LXF made it numer 1 over Zorin (I could not get it to run in Live mode at all) and to boot the magazine made it plain that Pinguy's releases are permanently Beta (is this true Wolfman? ;) ). Being 'flashy' is where M$ got it wrong with 8 - what is bad is being greeted with a 'screensaver' before you login (reminiscent of facing a black screen with the Letter 'C' followed by a ':' then a '\' then a blinking cursor - that's when I went Amiga! As for replicating Windows 7 exactly I think M$ would be having Zorin in court pretty quick! If you want something that resembles Win7 more exactly then install Win 2-7! :lol:
At the end of the day, all most users want are a stable desktop - if it has some pizazz as well for the younger generation (remember oldies like me outnumber the younger generation by an extremely wide margin!) - but I am used to pizazz - my longest GNU/Linux install on dual-boot with Windows has been Sabayon - until Zorin came along - which I have booted into more times than Windows 7, and more recently Pear 8. But its horses for courses. There is a wealth of different distros out there - and I wouldn't want it any other way - if you want something totally futuristic then try the unstable version of E-Live 1.0x - Now that was futuristic - sorry they dropped the novel GUI. :D

Pierre

Sat Dec 21, 2013 11:40:01 am

what is bad is being greeted with a 'screensaver' before you login

- which also hides the fact, that it actually asking for the user's pwd !. :o
& people then wait for something 'to happen'.
ie: a desktop .. ..