This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

The BBC/ITV/Channel4 etc all gone from mainland Europe

Wolfman

Thu Feb 13, 2014 5:41:22 am

Hi all,

if there are any ExPats (Brits abroad) that have lost their satellite British TV recently due to the Beeb being total b#*%&$§?, this might help:

http://www.filmon.com/tv/live

We get some channels and we need to retweak the dish/LNB to try and get the rest of them back, we might be in a Beeb reception blackspot!. we still get a few channels on the Pan European beam like Pick TV and Sky News along with Movies4Men etc.

Regards Wolfman :D

Swarfendor437

Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:59:00 pm

Hi Wolfman, nothing to do with our stormy weather at all? We have had poor terrestrial signals with all the latest shenanigans - they may blame it as weather systems from Australasia, but we know what caused them in the first place! ;) Just enter 'haarp' in the search box on YouTube!

Wolfman

Thu Feb 13, 2014 9:41:49 pm

Hi swarf,

no it has nothing to do with the weather, it has to do with the BBC not wanting anyone outside of the UK watching their progs without a British TV licence!.

We are getting a signal of sorts and need to realign the dish/LNB a tad!.

The Beeb and ITV & Co are on the UK spotbeam now:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/reception/news/news_item25.html

Swarfendor437

Thu Feb 13, 2014 10:47:19 pm

All I can say is, isn't it interesting that the BBC moved to Manchester only a couple of years before the recent floods started!

;)

Wolfman

Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:40:37 am

Hi,

so, I got up on the roof despite having problems with my shoulder (and back) as I am determined not to let the BBC beat us Expats and stop us watching the Beeb/ITV etc, I did have some success but as the new satellites are constantly on the move (drifting), it is hard to get a real lock on the signal.

I will need a larger dish but it eventually won't stop me getting a signal, a friend of mine has a 1.2M dish and the local Irish Pub plan on using a 1.5M dish because that have a Multisat" setup and they pay for SKY UK and Sky Germany. (Not that SKY has any influence on the Beeb!)

Illegitimi non carborundum

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Illegitimi_non_carborundum

Swarfendor437

Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:44:17 pm

Couldn't you use a Web Proxy for iPlayer! :mrgreen:

Wolfman

Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:51:29 pm

Hi Swarf,

I don't have a smart TV so it would mean keeping my PC running all the time and as 90% of the stuff on TV are repeats, it won't pay for itself so to speak, I can use Filmon anyway and connect my PC to the TV if and when necessary!.

Swarfendor437

Sun Apr 20, 2014 11:27:23 am

OK, update, had a very good telecoms guy (not BT or TT) who replaced my failed face plate on Master Socket - he was intending to retire in a couple of years to the Algarve and set up Freesat - but the BBC has narrowed the bandwidth of the satellite to a tiny corner of France - so it looks like you would need to move to France mon ami! Suggest you start up a petition through the same org that is trying to save BBC3 - due to shut down in 2015 - interesting ss I think this is a decision they made some time ago as some 'one-off' comedy shows state they are only available until March 2015! :(