This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Any of you know much about cell phones?

Dude

Mon Sep 15, 2014 4:58:49 pm

I have this cell phone that I bought in Kandahar, Afghanistan back in 2010. It's a Nokia 1680 Classic. It has this SIM card in it. Well, I was wondering if I could just change this SIM card and start service on it with some other carrier here in the States. I have no idea who to ask or where to go about this thing. Paid almost $150 for it at the PX (Post Exchange) on base, and I'd hate to waste that money. Thanks for any help you can give me.

Swarfendor437

Mon Sep 15, 2014 6:12:35 pm

Hi, You need to take it to a 'FoneFix' type of place that repairs and unlocks phones - I appreciate the US is a huge place and not everyone lives in the 'burbs. But that would be my first port of call. I would not use a mail service - you may never see your phone again. Best to go to a store if you can. I had to take my better half's phone in that was locked - the network said they would charge £20 but no guarantees - think I paid £10 - now the whole family is on the same network - saves me a bundle (apart from the kids that use data!) but one top-up now lasts me 3 months! :D

Dude

Mon Sep 15, 2014 6:29:41 pm

Thanks! I wonder if Best Buy could do something with it? I live in the Adirondacks of upstate N.Y., 50 miles from any mall.

Henriolavi

Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:23:44 pm

Hi

Normally if you pay a phone separately, not tied with an agreement to any carrier so it is not locked and you can just change the SIM card. If the phone is given for "FREE" it is locked not to accept any other SIM cards than the carrier's during the agreement time. To open the lock, you need the IMEI code of the phone and you should contact to the earlier carrier to open the lock by giving you the code for opening it in case the agreement has run out and is not valid any more.

Anonymous

Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:37:03 pm

Airfire Mobile
ASTAC
Asset/Vada Wireless (uses AT&T/ TMobile)
AT&T (Includes GoPhone Prepaid, Dobson Cellular, Edge Wireless and Centennial Wireless)
Broadpoint
Calhan Wireless
call4care
Cellular One of East Central Illinois
Cellular One of East Arizona
Cellular One Nation
Cellular One TXOK
Chariton Valley Wireless
Cincinnati Bell Wireless
Commnet Wireless (also uses CDMA)
Consumer Cellular (uses AT&T towers)
Cordova Wireless
Corr Wireless
Cross Communications
DTC Wireless
Earthtones
Epic PCS
Fuzion Mobile
GCI Wireless (also uses CDMA)
GTC Wireless (uses AT&T towers)
i wireless
Immix
Indigo Wireless
Jolt Wireless (uses AT&T towers)
KTC PACE
Locus Mobile (uses CDMA, Verizon & AT&T towers)
Long Lines Wireless
Mobal Freedom (uses AT&T towers)
NEP Wireless
Pine Cellular
Plateau Wireless
Pure Prepaid (uses AT&T towers)
Pure Talk USA (uses AT&T towers)
Simple Mobile (uses T-Mobile towers)
Shaka Mobile (also uses CDMA, Verizon & Sprint towers)
Telecom North America Mobile Inc
TerreStar
T-Mobile USA
TracFone Wireless (also uses CDMA, AT&T, Verizon, Sprint, US Cellular and T-Mobile towers)
Tru (uses T-Mobile towers)
Union Wireless
Viaero Wireless
Wal-Mart Family Mobile (uses T-Mobile towers)
West Central Wireless
Westlink
XIT Communications

Dude

Mon Sep 15, 2014 11:41:44 pm

WOW! That's a heck of a list. I think the only reception we get around here is with Verizon. They might know something at Best Buy, that's a little over an hour away from here. Thanks guys.

Anonymous

Tue Sep 16, 2014 1:22:23 am

T-Mobile Troy NY. (518) 279-0685
Straight Talk [ Walmart ]

Dude

Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:55:45 pm

Thanks for the number. We have a Walmart here in my hometown. I don't consider that a mall. The only thing they know around here is plowin'. Haahaha