This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Automobile Technology

marx404

Tue Oct 14, 2014 5:21:51 pm

Let's talk about today's (and future) automobile technology. Seems cars are getting more and more technical every day.
I am a Certified Technology Expert for a big car company here is the US. My job consists of getting folks comfortable and functional with all of the new technology on the dash of their vehicles. Some people are quick to take to it, some take a few repeat lessons, some just don't get it at all.

Ford has the Sync system (based on MS software), GM has MyLink (and others) - based on Linux. As I am a Linux/Android user, it is pretty easy in translation, once people understand how it works and what it can do for them.

So, do you see all this technology useful or a hindrance? Is it all too flashy and colorful or should it be toned down? What features do you think should or will be useful in upcoming cars? As much of the software and apps are based on Linux Open Source, do you see it becoming more user- configurable and that said, will it have to become more secure? (Look what Tesla owners are doing to Ubuntu-based dash systems).

Thought this would be a fun topic, what do you think about it all?

Swarfendor437

Tue Oct 14, 2014 8:44:20 pm

It could have been done better in the 50's:

http://watchmovie-online.com/movie/anti ... ealed-full

marx404

Tue Oct 14, 2014 9:42:02 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:It could have been done better in the 50's:

So, I see alot of anti-gravity articles here. Is there a Delorean involved somewhere in this plan? :-)

Dude

Fri Oct 17, 2014 9:00:25 pm

The way I see it, the less things you have in your car, the less things that will break. I love the cars from the 50's and 60's, because I can work on them. I've got a 1969 Mustang with a big block 390GT, runs great. I wanted the change the brake pads on my Fusion last week for the first time. I was thinking, this is simple, wrong! You can't just compress the brake pads like you used to do, you need a special tool, that no one around here has. So it cost me a couple hundred dollars to have all four brake pads changed.

I've also heard people have been having problems with those new consoles for the past couple years. One of the guys at the garage told me the backup camera's break after about a year too. I live in the Adirondack mountains of New York, and in the winter people always have problems with the fold away steps on the trucks too. I guess it's too cold and too much snow and ice on the roads.

Anonymous

Fri Oct 17, 2014 10:09:57 pm

GM Mylink is not based on Linux.
QNX is more the word.
It's on the BSD end.....relative [ unix ]
Why the buyer can use either of their choosing.
ANDROID or IOS

By the way whom certified you... :lol: :lol:

Dude

Sat Oct 18, 2014 2:03:45 pm

When these companies build these special models for the police, I wonder if those cars give off special signals that might be picked up some how. If so, I also wonder if some one could come up with a radar scope (in your dash of course) that could pick up where those police cars are. Now that would be the thing to have!

Anonymous

Sat Oct 18, 2014 4:08:12 pm

Dude wrote:When these companies build these special models for the police, I wonder if those cars give off special signals that might be picked up some how. If so, I also wonder if some one could come up with a radar scope (in your dash of course) that could pick up where those police cars are. Now that would be the thing to have!

Dude It wouldn't matter in upstate NY....whether they used xband or kband.
Or new technology...and you had some type of detector.
Why.....a veteran law enforcement officer can use the terrain to their advantage.
Example....They zap you soon as you come around a curve.
To late for you to react.
The best way to beat them at their own game. [ road traps ]
By memory...as where they habitat their traps.

Note In most states....they've outlawed any type of device to jam a radar gun !!!!!

Dude

Sat Oct 18, 2014 7:20:31 pm

Nope, not talking about a radar detector. What I'm talking about is the vehicles computer installed at the factory. I'm thinking the only vehicles setup with the police package are the police. So if some one can come up with something to detect that police package and display that on a scope (lcd screen), you would know where the police car is. Even if he doesn't have his radar on. Cool idea huh? Well, if it'd work.

What I'm thinking of is an interrogator of some kind. Just to findout what car is what electronically. No jamming signals or anything like that.

Swarfendor437

Fri Oct 24, 2014 5:44:54 pm

marx404 wrote:
Swarfendor437 wrote:It could have been done better in the 50's:

So, I see alot of anti-gravity articles here. Is there a Delorean involved somewhere in this plan? :-)

You need to watch the video - they offered to assist GM and MIB turned up saying the project was a threat in overthrowing the US Monetarist system! :mrgreen:

Swarfendor437

Sun Oct 26, 2014 5:59:24 pm

Ignore my last link and watch it here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJD4h96D7Ds