This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

OS Disapointment

Digi_Dude_Henry

Mon Feb 16, 2015 1:41:27 pm

I dont usually get on a BBS to complain or whine about some topic that is about as usefull as yelling at a brick wall. I understand the dificulties of working with open source software, and have a respect for the people that have to put up with companies crying about this and that and all the copyrighted c***. Though I had to create an account and post how disapointed I am over this OS. I was so excited that it was going to be so much like Windows with the functinality of GNU/Linux all in one great package. Though after installing it I ran into so many issues. This is stuff that most wont care about but is a real deal killer for me. The launchpad wont display on anything other than the main monitor, that has to be the one "on the left" by the way. The notification area would stop working, not an error, or a crash, it would just disapear. The outline was still there but all the icons and information was just gone. The lack of a desktop wallpaper slide show, screensaver function, multiple launchpad function, isues with connectiong with Server 2008 R2 and a few more. Im not a GNU/Linux hater and want to have every one switch to Windows or even *shiver* Mac. These things are bare basic things that Windows can do out of the box and with the way my office is set up I have to have them avalable to set up the OS in a way that I need it. I guess I could spend hours searching the internet and MAYBE might find an answer, though, now with three projects running at one time, I dont have the time to be doing that. Also that would defeat the pourpose of this being a "Windows alternative" OS. If its not as functinal as Windows, then it shouldn't be able to be called a "Windows alternative" in the respects of functinality. Just my two cents on it.

Wolfman

Mon Feb 16, 2015 2:22:36 pm

Hi,

did you follow this advice as you say you have many errors on your system and this may well account for them:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4771

There are plenty of guides on the forum including this one with a whole bunch of tips:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2054

Also:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2247

And many; many more!. :D

Swarfendor437

Tue Feb 17, 2015 1:03:47 pm

Just to add, Zorin is a 'fledgling' OS compared to some of the others out there and no distro has the resources to test all confrigurations of Desktops and Notebooks. Instead of complaining to Distro forums, start lobbying the hardware manufacturers to make their equipment 'close sourced-centric'! ;) :D