This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Experiences of using Google Translator

Henriolavi

Fri Apr 10, 2015 9:46:48 am

I have find Google Translator to be helpful when I have difficulties with translating languages. It does not make complete translations without errors, but it works rather well when I make English documents translated from Finnish language. Translator is a help tool that can be used when you have basic knowledge of the language of the target document, otherwice you have to rely too much to the translator's result and that may not always manage to make sensible sentences and you have to make some corrections.

The results are not that good if I try to use it vice versa, to translate from English to Finnish. The problem is often that English sentences does not include all that information that is needed to get good translation related to greater variety of forms of places used in Finnish language. However you get often reasonable good understanding of the content of the document. Advice here is to use short sentences and simple language to get it working better.

Wolfman

Fri Apr 10, 2015 10:02:53 am

Hi H,

it also has to do with grammar, for example, the German verb "sein" (to be), changes considerably depending on what is being said and to whom and by whom, this makes it really hard for a translation app to work 100%:

http://german.about.com/library/verbs/blverb01.htm

Henriolavi

Fri Apr 10, 2015 11:05:00 am

Alle Sprachen enthalten besondere Einrichtungen, die Übersetzer nicht korrekt zu übersetzen kann. Eine gute Hilfe sie aber ist, um die Kommunikation zu erleichtern.

All languages have special features that the translator can not translate correctly. A good aid it however is to facilitate the communication.

Pierre

Fri Apr 10, 2015 12:05:30 pm

translating into English, seems work quite well,
but: away from English, well .. ..

- since most forums are in English, then it works okay.