This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Nightmare with ATI Radeon [SOLVED]

ubudev

Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:40:14 pm

For anyone who has had problems with the newer ATI Radeon cards with Zorin or Ubuntu, here is the solution that worked for me.

I have an ATI Radeo HD 6450 in an HP desktop. I spent two days trying to get either Zorin or Ubuntu to be functional past the first boot. I had countless screen freezes that I am convinced led to other problems because there was no alternative but a hard power down.

The solution turned out to be rather simple:

1. Do a fresh install of Zorin or Ubuntu 11.04 or 11.10. This will not work without a fresh install.
2. On the first boot after installation, at the Grub Boot Menu, choose the "(recovery mode) option.
3. In the Recovery Mode menu, choose "falesafeX".
4. Click OK to the message about Ubuntu running in low-graphics mode.
5. Choose "Run in low-graphics mode for just one session.", and OK
6. Click on the Zorin icon (lower left) and type "add", then select "Additional Drivers".
7. Activate the ATI/AMD proprietary driver.
8. REBOOT.

After trying dozens of online fixes, this is the only method that brought me to Zorin ATI nirvana.

Hope it helps.

luismi

Sun Nov 20, 2011 2:03:30 pm

yeah i did evey step but when i got to were it says ati/amd propietry driver it didnt see any in the system how can i make my system recognize my video card its a
radeon hd 6670 video card need urgent help and thanks

white stone

Sun Nov 20, 2011 5:46:40 pm

ubudev wrote:. . . . days trying to get either Zorin or Ubuntu to be functional past the first boot. I had countless screen freezes that I am convinced led to other problems because there was no alternative but a hard power down.

The solution turned out to be rather simple: . . . . .

Hello,

This is my first post. I installed Zorin 5 from a DVD. I ran the DVD live before installing. Had many of the screen freezes and black cascading windows but 'thought' the issues would resolve once operating from the hard drive - wrong!

I want to use the OS. I do not have the card you have. I have an older Dell machine:
2.53 gigahertz Intel Celeron
16 kilobyte primary memory cache
256 kilobyte secondary memory cache

2046 Megabytes Installed Memory

Intel(R) 82865G Graphics Controller [Display adapter]

Does anyone know if the fix ubudev posted can be modified to repair my OS? Reinstalling would be a chore because of the black business. I had to work around that problem on installing. Not excited about doing that again. You know, I will, if I have to, though. What I have seen and heard made me choose Zorin to start with.

Thanks,
white stone

luismi

Mon Nov 21, 2011 2:03:24 am

swarfendor437 wrote:
luismi wrote:yeah i did evey step but when i got to were it says ati/amd propietry driver it didnt see any in the system how can i make my system recognize my video card its a
radeon hd 6670 video card need urgent help and thanks

This should help you out:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1814871

ok after i do this part what do i do

do i follow the other thing from earlier or do i do another thing becuase i tried what ubudev said to do and i still cant find the propietry driver cant i do something else to install the drivers

and thanks for helping i really appreciate the help since im new to this os and all thanks

white stone

Mon Nov 21, 2011 4:03:18 am

Solved my issues. My husband dug in the spare computer parts box and dug out a video card. Installed it and things work perfectly. Needed to make ZERO adjustments to the OS. Very happy with what I see, now that I can see it. :D

Thanks for the links, though.

Kind regards,
WS

Wolfman

Mon Nov 21, 2011 7:50:02 am

I have an ATI card on my notebook and found that it runs better without the prop drivers.

I think it is a case of waiting until a better driver is developed!!.

Regards Wolfman:)

luismi

Mon Nov 21, 2011 8:22:19 pm

yeah i have a question were do i insert the the codes in zorin please help