This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

VMware hosting

jcormack

Sat Oct 29, 2011 8:16:32 am

I'm having a nightmare trying to get zorin to run under VMware - has anyone got this working? All appears okay during the install process but when the VM reboots it freezes on the login screen. The only way out is to hard reset the VM upon which it does a disk check at startup which suggests it is some sort of disk corruption going on. If it helps the VM is running on vSphere 4.1 and it's a hosted server - http://www.stratogen.net

Any help would be much appreciated.

John.

sonoma95446

Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:44:43 pm

Having the same problem with all version of zorin I'm using VMware workstatiion 8 and have Ubuntu all verions including Kubuntu , mint, open suse no problem. Zorin hangs after creating user asking forb all info time zone etc and seems tyo be ready to install and then just stops. It keeps its circle going like somthing is happening. I wont bother with it if I cant get it to run in my VM as I'm to busy. Running win7 64b 12 gig of ram cable modem through a 8 port smart vswitch through a netgear 600 to filter out the rif-raf and yes I check the md5. As it downloads a great dseal off the server and the zorin server is soooooo slooo maytbe that is the issue???????

Wolfman

Fri Oct 19, 2012 7:13:17 am

sonoma95446 wrote:Having the same problem with all version of zorin I'm using VMware workstatiion 8 and have Ubuntu all verions including Kubuntu , mint, open suse no problem. Zorin hangs after creating user asking forb all info time zone etc and seems tyo be ready to install and then just stops. It keeps its circle going like somthing is happening. I wont bother with it if I cant get it to run in my VM as I'm to busy. Running win7 64b 12 gig of ram cable modem through a 8 port smart vswitch through a netgear 600 to filter out the rif-raf and yes I check the md5. As it downloads a great dseal off the server and the zorin server is soooooo slooo maytbe that is the issue???????

Hi sonoma95446,

did you more or less reply to this thread by starting a new one and should they be merged??:

viewtopic.php?f=4&p=15539#p15539

Regards Wolfman :D

KarterJK

Sat Nov 03, 2012 9:22:19 am

Ummmm, not sure if my situation is the same
I am running VMPlayer which is the free version, and it works great for me (Windows 7 server).

There is a little sound distortion when watching videos (at times). However the install was a breeze. I have actually reinstalled 10-15 times, not because of VMWare, but the post install instructions in this forum are confusing to me, I am a novice with Linux.

these:
http://www.zoringroup.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2247

and this one I dont know about the updating if I am supposed to include the Precise packages or not, I am still playing around with all the options
http://www.zoringroup.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2054

I am not certain if I should even be doing both of them

But other than that, I truly love this setup up. I installed the actual Ubuntu 12.04 version through VMWare and had each version running side by side so I could compare. Again no problems, I much prefer the Zorin OS 6 (sweet)

I am running the Zorin PS 6 Ultimate
I allow it 4Gb Ram (I have plenty to spare)
The Zorin (even running in the Virtual machine) is faster than my Win 7 system

[AFTER THOUGHT]
sometimes it will just sit there and I need to press enter several times is get it to respond
Ctrl+G and Ctrl+Alt will toggle keyboard input from zorin screen to your normal desktop screen