This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[RESOLVED] Install Zorin OS 9 on Macbook 3,1

davidkasper1972

Thu Jan 14, 2016 11:07:51 pm

I am attempting to install Zorin 9 OS on a MacBook 3,1 ( late 2007 model ). I noticed this OS is built upon Ubuntu 14.04. I have had no problems installing Ubuntu version on my MacBook 3,1. From version 12.04 up until 15.10. Yet, when I attempt to install Zorin OS 9 or even Zorin OS 10, the USB does not boot. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I already have installed refit on the unit, this is what was needed to get the various Ubuntu OS version installed. I really would like to try Zorin OS 9 or even Zorin OS 10. I am hoping someone would have some input and or instruction I can follow to make this happen. Thank you in advance for any input and or help.

Swarfendor437

Fri Jan 15, 2016 12:56:08 am

Hi, and welcome! I am no Mac user but rEFIt is now a dead project. You should be using rEFInd instead.
http://www.rodsbooks.com/refind/

davidkasper1972

Sat Jan 16, 2016 12:21:01 am

Hello Swarfendor437,

Just wanted to follow up with you. First, thanks for the advice. I had been attempting to install Zorin OS using a USB. After many failed attempts on this MacBook, I went out and purchased some DVR's. I burned the image using my Win7 machine at the slowest speed possible, 1x burning speed. Then popped it into my MacBook and it installed without a hitch. I had already configured the machine using rEFIt to get Xubuntu 15.10 running, so I did not need to do any additional changes. I just kept the same partition tables and formatted the ones already set-up. I am now using Zorin OS 9 as I had wanted to from the start. Again, thanks for the advice on using rEFInd though.

Swarfendor437

Sat Jan 16, 2016 6:24:11 pm

Great going! Now that you mention usb, did you fully format to FAT32? I am aware you cannot do this in Windows 7 but GParted that comes with Zorin can do this! ;) :D

Glad you are finally sorted - will mark as [RESOLVED]. :D