This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

USB Installation challenge

englischdude

Sun Jan 31, 2016 11:31:41 am

hi All,

I have been a mint user for several years but have recently discovered zorin and would like to test it on my laptop. The only problem is that I can install it from usb.

I have tried the following usb tools:

unetbootin
1 pre-installed mint usb creator
1 creator from the application centre

with all 3 the installation fails and only witth one of the programs can I get to a live version of zorin.

Installation back to mint with the USB is no problem.

The developers really to to focus on this issue as a matter of priority because if people have problems during installation which are not experienced with other distros then zorin will be disregarded. Seems strange that I am having these issues as zorin is ubuntu based, as is LM.

Have now downloaded multisystem installer and will give that a try.

Swarfendor437

Sun Jan 31, 2016 11:57:37 am

Your usb creators are the issue, not Zorin - the one I personally recommend (but you need to have GNU/Linux OS already installed to use) is MultiSystem:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=8933&hilit=multisystem+multisystem.tar.gz#p43425 - which has the tarball in this post I made - but be sure to update after install;

others prefer Rufus:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=9972&p=49175&hilit=rufus#p49175

englischdude

Sun Jan 31, 2016 12:23:47 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:Your usb creators are the issue, not Zorin - the one I personally recommend (but you need to have GNU/Linux OS already installed to use) is MultiSystem:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=8933&hilit=multisystem+multisystem.tar.gz#p43425 - which has the tarball in this post I made - but be sure to update after install;

others prefer Rufus:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=9972&p=49175&hilit=rufus#p49175

Many thanks for the quick feedback. I beg to differ but your statement that the creators are the issue and not zorin is not entirely accurate. As mentiined in my first post the creators i use till now work just fine with other distros including ubuntu forks. So there must be something in zori which makes a difference.

I juat tried multisystem but also causes problems. Once the usb stick is created i can boot to usb, i selelct zorin os, after which it just hangs at the zorn splash screen.

I will try to boot it from a dvd this week, if that also does not work then it is bye bye zorin and i will stick with LM.
Such a shame. Zorin seems to be a beautifully put together distro!

Swarfendor437

Sun Jan 31, 2016 5:50:27 pm

Zorin is a good distro - I have never had issues with MultiSystem - which version of Zorin were you trying? I had big issuew with unetbootin - took forever to create the iso only to then tell me it would not run - if there was an issue with MultiSystem it reports back instantly, "iso not supported". If it is hanging I suspect a graphics issue? You may need to edit your boot parameters. ;) :D

e.g.,

Code:
acpi=off noapic nolapic xforcevesa

englischdude

Sun Jan 31, 2016 7:30:25 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:Zorin is a good distro - I have never had issues with MultiSystem - which version of Zorin were you trying? I had big issuew with unetbootin - took forever to create the iso only to then tell me it would not run - if there was an issue with MultiSystem it reports back instantly, "iso not supported". If it is hanging I suspect a graphics issue? You may need to edit your boot parameters. ;) :D

e.g.,

Code:
acpi=off noapic nolapic xforcevesa

thanks for your feedback. I am trying to install the latest version 9 64 bit.

How exactly do I change the boot parameters you mentioned?

regards
Martin

Swarfendor437

Mon Feb 01, 2016 1:12:25 pm

When you see keyboard = little person press space bar - press F6 for boot parameter options - not sure if 'E' for edit is available from this menu of boot parameters. ;) :D

englischdude

Mon Feb 01, 2016 5:27:18 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:When you see keyboard = little person press space bar - press F6 for boot parameter options - not sure if 'E' for edit is available from this menu of boot parameters. ;) :D

thanks, think I will try the installing from dvd route first though.

englischdude

Tue Feb 02, 2016 6:37:51 pm

sooooo.. burnt the same image i was trying to use for booting from USB to a dvd, now I have zorin installed next to my LM 17.3 Mate installation. Unfortunately the grub menu was not appearing during the boot to select which system I want, seems that by default the grub timeout is set to 0 seconds so it never appears. changed the grub config file and did an update, now I am writing this post from zorin!

I see that it still uses kernel 3.13 which is aging now, still, i will see how it runs for a few weeks and if I like it I will remove the mint installation and make zorin my default!

Will keep you posted....... you devs really need to address these USB installation issues though. making a bootable usb is becoming more the norm and is really offputting if there are issues.

Swarfendor437

Tue Feb 02, 2016 8:35:05 pm

i am no dev, just a volunteer moderator - and no, certain usb creators need to be able to run Zorin - just like MultiSystem can! :P ;) :D

tjw5000

Fri Feb 12, 2016 3:27:30 am

trying to install this i get to the double click install-depot-multisystems.sh click run in terminal gett error:xterm so the only usb creater that works with zorin doesnt work :// ill give this destro 1 more day before i write it off. should not hace to go thru all this just to get it installed