This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Installation of software

garthmicro

Sat Feb 13, 2016 10:10:02 pm

Hi, I am brand new to Linux. I would like some specific instructions on how to install software on my Zorin machine. I haven't installed Zorin yet - am presently downloading it. I hope it installs nicely on my older Dell laptop. I expect that somebody has already posted these instructions somewhere.

Swarfendor437

Sun Feb 14, 2016 1:14:32 am

garthmicro wrote:Hi, I am brand new to Linux. I would like some specific instructions on how to install software on my Zorin machine. I haven't installed Zorin yet - am presently downloading it. I hope it installs nicely on my older Dell laptop. I expect that somebody has already posted these instructions somewhere.

Instructions for software installation or installation of OS to Dell 'laptop' [notebook].

Software installation can take place in 4 different ways:

1. Zorin Software Centre [ Menu | Software Center/re] - this is where the mainstream software that you would also find in Ubuntu is referred to for installation - you choose the package from those available in the Software Centre.

2. Synaptic Package Manager [Menu | System Tools | Administration | Synaptic Package Manager] Not sure of what you are looking for? Enter something in the small search bar in the middle near the top of the interface and it will bring you results based on your search term/s. You have to 'check' the box next to the software title by 'right-clicking' and choosing 'Mark for Installation' then clicking on the 'Apply' button option on the Menu at the top. Some applications are reliant on other packages/libraries present and you may be asked if you agree to installing these additional packages - obviously 'Yes' or it won't get installed!

In 1 and 2 you will be asked for your login password to elevate your status to 'root' [administrator] where you will see 'asterisks/dots' when you enter your password in the appropriate field - you will not see any such markers in the third method:

3. Installing via the Terminal (Menu | Accessories | Terminal - in Zorin 9, Menu | System Tools | Terminal in 10 and beyond). To install an application you would enter:

Code:
sudo apt-get install [name of application]
- you will be asked for your login password to elevate to 'root' but you will not see any indicators as you type your password so you have to be careful - you do get 3 attempts before being returned to normal user status in the Terminal.

4. Dowload a '.deb' package from a website and install using 'Gdebi Package Installer': This is probably one of the best ways to install 3rd Party applications not in the official repositories as it will report back if there are needed dependencies not present.

5. One more I forgot about. Zorin, like Ubuntu, uses the Debian Package Management system (.deb) - but what if you want to install an application that is not available as '.deb' but is an '.rpm' (Red [Hat] Package Manager) - here you have to install a package called 'alien':

Code:
sudo apt-get install alien

So after downloading an '.rpm' package you would 'navigate' to 'Downloads' in a Terminal window (cd Downloads) and then enter the command:

Code:
audo apt-get alien [name of package EXACTLY as it is named in the Downloads folder]
- this will change it form .rpm to .deb - then use Gdebi to install the newly created '.deb' package.

Hope this helps - oh and I included most of this (apart from item 4 and 5 here: https://vimeo.com/135585793